Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kbing
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: KB

problem backing up VM w/RDM disk

Post by kbing »

I have a VM that is running the OS on a VM virtual hard disk (.vmdk) and the second and third disk setup are physical RDM's. We are running vSphere 4 update1.

I want to backup the VM OS but not the RDM's with Veeam Backup but get an error because it is trying to backup the -rdmp.vmdk file. I believe this is the file that VMware uses to map to the LUN.

Anyone know how to accomplish the above backup without getting the error's below?

Verifying changed block tracking... Disk "Hard disk 2" has incorrect changed block tracking configuration. Disk "Hard disk 3" has incorrect changed block tracking configuration. One or more VM disks have incorrect changed block tracking configuration. To resolve this, open VMware vSphere Client, right-click the VM, choose Edit Settings, Options tab, select General, click Configuration Parameters, and set all entries with ‘ctkEnabled’ substring to false. Veeam Backup will then automatically re-enable changed block tracking with the correct settings during the next job run. Backing up file "[emc_lun60_vmfs_lun2] D01EXCHANGE04/D01EXCHANGE04_2-rdmp.vmdk" BackupDisk failed Client error: Failed to open VDDK disk [[emc_lun60_vmfs_lun2] D01EXCHANGE04/D01EXCHANGE04_2.vmdk] ( is read-only mode - [true] ) Failed to open VMDK. Logon attempt with parameters [VC/ESX: [d01vcenter];Port: 443;Login: [forum\kbing_admin];VMX Spec: [moref=vm-896];Snapshot mor: [snapshot-1036];Transports: [san]] failed because of the following errors: Server error: End of file
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: problem backing up VM w/RDM disk

Post by Gostev »

Hello, as per System Requirements physical RDMs are not supported by Veeam Backup.
http://www.veeam.com/files/release_note ... _notes.pdf
All types and versions of virtual hardware are supported, except independent and physical RDM disks (virtual RDM disks are supported). You can use disk exclusion functionality to exclude some of the unsupported disks from backup/replication.
This limitation is not specific to our products, you cannot perform pRDM backups with any image level backup solution because VMware does not support snapshotting pRDM disks (technically, this is simply impossible to do because of what pRDM is and how VMware snapshots work).
mdornfeld
Expert
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Matt

Post by mdornfeld »

KBing,
As Anton somewhat mentioned, you could try excluding the physical disks using the "Exclude" functionality when you setup the backup job.

That should accomplish what you're after.
BearHuntr
Enthusiast

Post by BearHuntr »

Unfortunately, the handling of VMs with Physical RDMs attached seems to have changed for the worse in 4.1. When I was using 3.x, it would just ignore the RDM and backup only the virtual drives with no errors. No special setup was needed. Now, in 4.1 you have to set an exclude for the RDM disks or it will fail. Plus, since the exclude can not be singled out for just one VM in a job, any VMs with RDMs need to be in a completely separate job from VMs without RDMs. It's very frustrating.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

I believe this is actually a change from VMware. I think that VCB automatically skipped pRDM's, while vStorage API does not. I could be mistaken on this though.
BearHuntr
Enthusiast

Post by BearHuntr »

tsightler wrote:I believe this is actually a change from VMware. I think that VCB automatically skipped pRDM's, while vStorage API does not. I could be mistaken on this though.
That would make sense, however, the limitations on disk exclusions is all Veeam.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

BearHuntr wrote:Unfortunately, the handling of VMs with Physical RDMs attached seems to have changed for the worse in 4.1. When I was using 3.x, it would just ignore the RDM and backup only the virtual drives with no errors. No special setup was needed.
Still the case with 4.1 (but only in VCB mode) :wink:
BearHuntr wrote: Plus, since the exclude can not be singled out for just one VM in a job, any VMs with RDMs need to be in a completely separate job from VMs without RDMs. It's very frustrating.
We are working on it.
BearHuntr
Enthusiast

Post by BearHuntr »

Gostev wrote:We are working on it.
Thank you!!!