Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ronno
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ronnie Reid

MD3000i Host Access for Veeam Backup Server

Post by ronno »

I have three LUNS on an MD3000i successfully connected to several ESX hosts.

When I created the Host Groups for the ESX hosts, I selected "Linux" as the OS type.

Now that I'm trying to configure host access for the Veeam (Windows) Server, it says I can't mix OS types on the LUN.

How can I give the Windows server access? BTW, I'm using iSCSI initiator. Anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks!
Ron
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: MD3000i Host Access for Veeam Backup Server

Post by Gostev »

Ron, I recommend that you check with your storage vendor directly on this. If they have some sort of knowledgebase, look for articles about configuring storage for VCB access (VCB been around for a while, so they must have this). Or just email their support.

Strangely enough, other MD3000i users did not report similar issues:
http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... lit=md3000
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 84 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli »

Did you add the Windows server to the same ESX host group or you created a new host group?
The correct way is to have only one host group with ESX and Windows Veeam Server togheter

I have many MD3000i with this configuration

Marco
ronno
Lurker
Full Name: Ronnie Reid

Post by ronno »

Marco,

I have not added the Windows server to a group yet. The Dell Docs say not to mix OS types in a group, so I was nervous to try it.

Sounds like that's not a problem, correct?

Thanks!!
Ron
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 84 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli »

No problem, add the Windows Server to the same group of ESX servers

Marco
SamDLC
Influencer
Full Name: Sam De La Cruz

Post by SamDLC »

How Can I add the windows Server to the ESX group. When I select the group, I do not have an option to add another host, just delete the whole group.
jlh
Novice
Full Name: Jerry

Configure MD3000i for SAN access

Post by jlh »

[merged]

Hi,

I’m currently evaluating Veeam B&R 6 on a physical Windows 2003 server. I have two ESX 3.5 hosts connected to a DELL MD 3000i SAN that I would like to backup using direct SAN access.

Searching the forum on the MD3000i I saw that several of you have successfully connected the MD3000i to the Backup server. Maybe someone can share this knowledge with me. My problem is configuring the host access on the MD3000i itself. I don’t want to do something stupid and accidently delete my virtual machines on the vmfs. Here’s what I did so far:

I installed the iSCSI initiator in Windows 2003. Then with the Modular Disk Storage Manager I started to configure host access manually.
First I’m asked to give this new host a name and select what type OS. Name is VMM and the possible selections for the OS are Linux, Windows grouped or non grouped. Which would it be? I chose non grouped for the time being.
Next I specified the iSCSI initiator.
And now comes the big question. The next step is to add this new host to an existing host group. The only host group I have is the one with the two ESX hosts that have full access to the LUNs with the VMs. These are of course Linux hosts. Help says the OS must be of the same kind. So how do I mix Linux with Windows in the host group? Like I said, I don’t want to do anything stupid. I haven’t gone further than this. And I have asked Dell, but they don’t know either :( .

Thanks for any help,

Jerry
jlh
Novice
Full Name: Jerry

Post by jlh »

Thanks,

I must have overlooked this post. Everything here helped. I used Windows Cluster type for the host OS and added it to the VMgroup. I can now see the LUNs on the backupserver.

Jerry