Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mightybob
Novice
Liked: never

VEEAM Backup 4.1.1 and Whitespace

Post by mightybob »

Hi all,

Just a quick one. How does VEEAM handle whitespace in a server? I have a VM that has 2 drives, 1 is the system drive and the other has mostly archived files (which I plan on removing). If I were to use VEEAM to backup this VM once I had removed those archive files, will VEEAM identify the whitespace there or do I still need to run the command: sdelete -c <Drive Letter> before doing the backup? I am using 4.1.1.

I found some threads addressing the issue in older versions (http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=576) but was wondering if these solutions have since been incorporated in the later versions?

Cheers all.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6633 times

Re: VEEAM Backup 4.1.1 and Whitespace

Post by Gostev »

Hello, no this solution has not been incorporated into the product in this form. We are planning to address this in the future release, but we will be using very different approach (as wiping takes too much time to be a part of regular backup process).

Also, assuming you are talking about Windows VM - please note that if you are already backing up this VM, you do not need to perform sdelete because the deleted data blocks will not be picked up by incremental job run in all cases - without any actions required from your side.

Thanks!
mightybob
Novice
Liked: never

Re: VEEAM Backup 4.1.1 and Whitespace

Post by mightybob »

Hi Gostev,

Thanks for confirming that. I haven't started backing up the VM in question yet so I will use that sdelete command before doing the initial full backup.

Cheers.