Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Chris128
Influencer
Liked: never

Cannot connect to local server

Post by Chris128 »

Hi,

We have just installed Veeam 4.1 and we ran a test replication job last night but all of the VMs failed to replicate with the following error:
Initializing target session
Cannot connect to server [192.168.132.220:2500].
Now the IP address mentioned is the IP address of the Veeam server itself. We had this problem a while ago on a previous Veeam server and I think just restarting the Veeam service or the server seemed to sort it out... but that is not fixing it this time. The problem is that the Veeam service is not listening on the port that it is trying to connect to itself on - if I do a netstat -a then I do not see anything listening on port 2500, which is why it is failing to connect. How can I get the service to start listening on this port (and why isnt it doing it automatically) ?

Thanks
Chris
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Cannot connect to local server

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Chris,

I would recommend to check that all ports required are opened on the source and target ESX server firewall. Along with that, please look through an existing topic describing the same issue:
http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 500#p13031

Hope this helps!
Chris128
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by Chris128 »

Thanks for the quick reply - it looks like it was the Windows Firewall (as mentioned in that thread you linked to) that was causing the problem this time as I've disabled it and now we dont get that error :) (we get a different error, but that's just because the replica already exists so I'll delete it and try again).
I'm puzzled though as to how the veeam service is connecting to itself on port 2500 successfully now when netstat -a does not show any processes listening on that port... but oh well, if it works it works.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

There will be process once the actual data transfer starts. Thanks!