Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
joeymartin
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Joey

Offsite Encryption

Post by joeymartin »

I have read through the forms regarding options with encrypting offsite backups. I wanted to see if anyone else out there has any suggestions and or tips as I am struggling with performance.

We currently use the latest version of Veeam B&R 5.0. We will be doing traditional full backups on weekends and differential throughout the week. These backups go to the "Staging" server first then copied to external disks in a Dlink NAS. I am currently looking at encryption options for the external disks and based on others here on the forums have been using Truecrypt. Encryption time for a 1TB drive is upwards of 15 hours and transfer speeds from the staging server to the NAS has been cut in half.

Are there any other options people are using for encrypting offsite drives?

Joe
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Offsite Encryption

Post by Gostev »

Hi Joe, have you considered to simply use EFS?
joeymartin
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Joey

Post by joeymartin »

I have considered it but have not dug into EFS world yet. I initially read that I can't encrypt the drives located in the NAS with EFS as they weren't "system volumes". I'm not taking this as gospel of course...just wondering if there were additional options other than Truecrypt and EFS.

Thanks for the reply.

Joe
jftuga
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: John Taylor

Post by jftuga »

We have used TrueCrypt on a Windows 2003 server for years and never had any problems with it. The C: drive is not encrypted. The E: drive is a NTFS partition with one very large TC file (a few hundred gigs). Each time the server is rebooted, you have to manully type in the password (or use a key file) to mount this TC file, which then becomes F:. The veeam backup files are then saved here. TC recommends a password of 20 or more characters.

-John
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Slightly offtopic, but interesting article anyway (touches length of passwords, too):
http://www.gtri.gatech.edu/casestudy/Te ... ity-System