Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
datenfalke
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Falco Kleinschmidt

Installation of MS SQL Server crashes WinXP in VM

Post by datenfalke »

Hello,

I am trying now for some hours to setup Veeam Monitor 4 on a newly installed WinXP VM running on my ESXi 3.5 Server.

I start the installation after downloading the fresh Veema Monitor setup files and clicking "Next" all the time.

Unfortunately the complete WinXP crashes always with a bluescreen when it comes inside the MS SQL Server installation part to starting the MS SQL Server. The bluescreen says something about a crashing "Windows SubSystem" (look at screenshots below).

WinXP ist restarting after the Bluescreen. After it has restarted, the bluescreen comes again and WinXP is restarting again... again and again.

First I tried the installation with a WinXP including all WinXP-Updates, VM Infrastructure Clinet 2.5, VMWare-Tools, TightVNC-Server and AVST-Antivirus installed -> crash.

Then I tried WinXP without AVST Antivirus installed -> crash.

Then I tried WinXP without TightVNC-Server and without AVST Antivirus installed -> crash.

Then I tried WinXP with MS .Net 3.5 and without VM Infrastructure Client 2.5, without TightVNC-Server and without AVST Antivirus installed -> crash.

Then I tried a complete fresh WinXP without any Updates and only VM Infrastructure Client 2.5 + MS .Net 2.0 + VMWare-Tools installed -> crash.

Below you see the point when the installation crashes:

First bluescreen:

Next bluescreens when WinXP is starting over and over again:

I do not understand what could be the problem because I use a completely fresh WinXP installation.

With my local WinXP VM there is no problem installing Veeam Monitor at all. This local WinXP VM has a lot of other things installed so I cannot compare.

Kind regards
Falco
datenfalke
Novice

Re: Installation of MS SQL Server crashes WinXP in VM

Post by datenfalke »

Hello again.

The same issue occurse if I try to install Veeam Backup trial. WinXP crashes in the middle of installation of Veeam Backup trial and after this it crashes after each reboot like described before.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Post by Gostev »

Hello, this is known issue with Microsoft SQL Server 2005 and Windows XP (only certain patch levels), nothing to do with Veeam... google for "Microsoft SQL crash XP" or something and pick any link to read - it's all over the internet. SQL and Windows teams are pointing fingers at each other :roll:
datenfalke
Novice

Post by datenfalke »

Hi Gostev,
thank you very much for this information!
I am not much inside Windows because I prefer Linux. Unfortunately all the VMWare Stuff is Windows-Only :|
Have a nice week!
Falco
datenfalke
Novice

Post by datenfalke »

I found the solution as supposed by Gostev.
If you have the same problem you will nee dthe following hotfix from Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943232
After installing the hotfix, WinXP does not crash anymore on MS SQL Server installation :D
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Post by Gostev »

Thanks Falco, this is useful information - when I first researched the problem, the solution was not yet available.