Over the past few months Veeam has commissioned a number of white papers from various industry specialists. There’s a lot of valuable information in these white papers, not just about Veeam but about virtualization backup and recovery in general.
OpenBench Lab Report: Better Data Protection for VMware vSphere
By Jack Fegreus Managing Director openBench Labs.
System and storage virtualization introduces multiple levels of logical abstraction and resource redirection that can obscure and complicate important IT operations. Among the hardest hit IT operations are those associated with file-level data protection.
Read this white paper by industry expert Jack Fegreus to learn how you can:
- Minimize vSphere disk risk with backup and replication - combine backup and near-CDP-level replication to unify both data protection processes for IT with a synthetic backup process and consistent process wizards.
- Maximize backup performance with deduplication and compression - how you can reduce the footprint of full VM’s backups by 3 – 9 times with data deduplication, compression, and recognition of thin provisioning.
- Leverage full support for ESX and ESXi without VCB – fully utilize the new vStorage API or VMware Consolidated Backup (VCB) when performing backup or replication, allowing SMB sites with or without shared storage to fully leverage ESXi, including the ability to replicate VMs to an ESXi host.
- Dramatically increase full and incremental backup speed and reduces storage requirements by utilizing new vSphere Changed-Block Tracking and thin provisioning.
- Higher RPO support via Virtual CDP with replication - leverage inline data deduplication and compression to provide near continuous data protection (CDP) with replication.
- Ensure transaction consistency at VM and application levels - ensure VM transaction consistency and Volume Shadow Services (VSS) for VSS-aware Windows applications such as Active Directory, SQL Server, and Exchange.
Download this white paper and learn how to ensure better VMware vSphere data protection through unified backup and replication.
5 Ways VMware vSphere Improves Backup and Recovery
By Eric Siebert
VMware vSphere™, the industry’s first cloud operating system, leverages the power of virtualization to transform datacenters into dramatically simplified cloud-computing infrastructures. VMware vSphere includes many new features and technological enhancements that can benefit you. While there are several reasons to upgrade to vSphere, this white paper focuses on how VMware vSphere and its vStorage technologies improve data protection and disaster recovery.
Read this white paper by industry expert Eric Siebert to learn how you can leverage vSphere to achieve:
- 30% average reduction in storage space
- 50% average increase in backup speeds when performing full backup
- 90% average increase in backup speeds when performing incremental backups
- 80% lower cost for near continuous data protection (CDP)
- Increased reliability
About the Author
Eric Siebert is a 25-year IT veteran whose primary focus is VMware virtualization and Windows server administration. He is one of the 300 VMware vExperts for 2009, author of the book “VI3 Implementation and Administration” and a frequent TechTarget contributor. In addition, he maintains vSphere-land.com, a VMware information site.
How Virtualization Cuts CDP Costs by 80%
By David Davis Director of Infrastructure at TrainSignal.com
Until recently, CDP has been used only by the largest enterprise companies and only for their most critical data. For small and medium businesses (SMBs)—it was simply cost-prohibitive.
Thanks to virtualization, advanced disaster recovery methods that result in fast recovery and low system downtime are now available to all organizations, from the largest enterprise to the smallest business, for a very reasonable cost.
This white paper compares 3 different options of implementing CDP:
- "Legacy CDP" or Classic SAN-based CDP
- Software-based Server Replication
- Virtualization-enabled "Near-CDP"
Download this white paper and learn how to ensure business continuity and enable disaster recovery at an affordable price