Now you can simplify backup job management and spend less on storage with Scale-out Backup Repository™. Veeam’s Scale-out Backup Repository provides an abstraction layer over individual storage devices to create a single virtual pool of backup storage to which to assign backups. It also offers the freedom to easily extend capacity, as needed, by simply adding additional storage devices to the pool.
This new feature delivers the following benefits:
- Leverage your storage investments — Unused storage from any storage device, including servers with local or direct-attached storage (DAS), network attached storage (NAS), or deduplication appliances can be added into a single Scale-Out Backup Repository, saving you the cost of acquiring and maintaining new storage devices
- Simplify backup job management — Backup files can be spread transparently across multiple storage devices of the Scale-out Backup Repository, removing the need to individually assign each job to a specific backup repository – and size each job accordingly. This dramatically simplifies repository capacity management, and allows you to significantly reduce the number of jobs needed to back up your entire environment
- Improve backup performance — Full and incremental backup files can be assigned to separate storage devices for improved synthetic full backup creation and transformation performance using the backup files placement policy. In addition, different types of backup files can be matched with different types of storage devices according to cost and performance considerations.
With Dell EMC Data Domain Boost you get source-side data deduplication, yielding faster, more efficient backups that enable lower RPO and lower exposure to data loss. The benefits of combining Veeam Backup & Replication with Dell EMC Data Domain Boost include:
- Up to 50% faster backup performance
- Data in-flight encryption over the WAN
- 10x faster synthetic full backup file creation and transformation for even shorter backup windows
- Fibre Channel connectivity enabling LAN-free backup to Data Domain
Veeam ran a synthetic full backup without Dell EMC Data Domain Boost taking 2 hours and 54 minutes, with Boost it took 11 minutes and 27 seconds, almost 16 times faster.
To decrease network traffic and disk space required for storing backup files, Veeam Backup & Replication includes compression and deduplication at no extra charge. Deduplication only transfers the data you need across the network. Veeam allows you to choose from four different options, based on VM size and type of backup target, so you can optimize backup size and job performance. Veeam also offers five levels of compression that allow you to find the right balance of storage consumption, job duration and backup proxy load — including dedupe-friendly compression designed for storage devices with built-in deduplication.Learn more about built-in compression and deduplication
With Veeam’s data deduplication, the backup window shrunk, and the amount of backup storage required decreased substantially as well. Now we save approximately $50,000 each year on backup storage costs because of Veeam.
In addition to improvements for Dell EMC and HPE deduplication appliances, Veeam Backup & Replication now provides capabilities that will bring performance improvements to ANY deduplicating storage:
- Per-VM backup file chains leverages parallel VM processing so that you can enable multiple write streams to the deduplication appliance, on a per-VM basis instead of a per-backup job basis, giving you up to 10x faster backup performance
- Active full backups with backup copy jobs reduce data rehydration on deduplication appliances, increasing local backup copy performance and reducing the load on the deduplication appliance itself.