To install Veeam Backup & Replication, follow the steps below:Step 1. Start the Setup Wizard
Download the latest version of Veeam Backup & Replication installation image from www.veeam.com/downloads
1. Mount the installation image using disk image emulation software, or burn the downloaded *.iso image file to a blank CD/DVD or. If you are installing Veeam Backup & Replication on a virtual machine, use built-in tools of the virtualization management software to mount the installation image to the virtual machine.
2. After you mount or insert the disk with Veeam Backup & Replication setup, Autorun will open a splash screen with installation options. If Autorun is not available or disabled, run the Setup.exe file from the CD/DVD disk. Alternatively, you can right-click the new disk in My Computer and select Execute Veeam Backup & Replication Autorun, or simply double-click the new disk to launch the splash screen.
3. Click the Install link in the Veeam Backup & Replication section of the splash screen.
4. On the Welcome step of the wizard, click Next to start the installation. Important!
It is strongly recommended to run the setup using Autorun. Otherwise (if you use other installation files from CD/DVD folders), you may miss some components that need to be installed and Veeam Backup & Replication will not work as expected.Step 2. Read and Accept License Agreement
To install Veeam Backup & Replication, you must accept the license agreement. Read the license agreement, select the “I accept the terms in the license agreement” option and click Next. Step 3. Provide a License File
You can install Veeam Backup & Replication with a trial license that was sent to you after registration, a purchased full license or without any license at all. In the latter case, Veeam Backup & Replication will be run in the free functionality mode. To install a license, click Browse and select a valid license file for Veeam Backup & Replication.
To learn about obtaining a license file, see Veeam Backup & Replication Licensing.Note:
If a valid license file has been previously installed on the machine, the setup wizard will inform you about it. In this case, you can skip this step and move forward.Step 4. Select Components
Select the components you want to install. The Veeam Backup & Replication setup includes the following components:
• Veeam Backup & Replication
• Veeam Backup Catalog responsible for indexing VM guest OS files
• Veeam Backup PowerShell snap-in for automating backup and replication activities via scripts. Note that the Veeam Backup PowerShell component is disabled by default. To be able to install it, you need to install the Windows Management Framework Core package first.
If necessary, you can change the installation folder.Note:
Veeam Backup & Replication requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4 and Microsoft SQL Server (.NET Framework 4 and Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express are included in the setup). If you plan to install these components with the setup, you should have at least 2 GB of free space on the system disk.
The setup will also install the following components in the silent mode:
• Veeam Explorer for Exchange
• Veeam Explorer for SharePoint
• HP StoreServ Plug-in
• HP StoreVirtual Plug-in
These components do not require additional licenses; they are integrated with Veeam Backup & Replication. Veeam Explorer for Exchange and Veeam Explorer for SharePoint can be launched either from the management console or from the Start menu. Refer to the product documentation for details.
Before proceeding with the installation, the setup wizard will perform a system configuration check to determine if all prerequisite software is available on the machine.
• To learn what software is required for the installation, see the System Requirements section.
• If some of the required software components are missing, the wizard will offer you to install missing software automatically.
To install missing software components in the current session without interrupting the setup, click the Install button.
If you cancel automatic installation, you should install and enable the missing software manually; otherwise, you will not be able to proceed to the next step.
When all required software is installed, click Re-run to repeat verification. Step 5. Specify Service Account Credentials
Enter the administrative credentials of the account under which you want to run the Veeam Backup Service. The user name should be specified in the DOMAIN\USERNAME format. This user account must have:
• Database owner rights for the Veeam Backup & Replication database on the SQL Server instance
• Full control NTFS permissions on the VBRCatalog folder where index files are stored.
The Log on as right will be automatically granted to the specified user account. Step 6. Select a SQL Server Instance
At this step, you should select an SQL Server instance on which the Veeam Backup & Replication database should be created or choose to install a new SQL Server instance.
• If the SQL Server is not installed, select the Install new instance of SQL Server option.
• If the SQL Server is already installed, select the Use existing instance of SQL Server option.
Enter the instance name in the HOSTNAME\INSTANCE format. In the Database field, specify the name of the database to be used.
The user account under which the installation is being performed should have sufficient rights to log on to the selected SQL Server instance using Windows integrated authentication and create a database on the selected instance.
In case the Veeam Backup & Replication database already exists on the SQL Server instance (that is, it was created by the previous installations of Veeam Backup & Replication), the setup will display a warning notifying about it. Click Yes to connect to the detected database. If necessary, the existing database will be upgraded to the latest version. Step 7. Specify Service Ports
If required, update the port numbers to be used by the following components:
• Veeam Backup Service (default value is 9392)
• Veeam Backup Catalog Service (default value is 9393) Step 8. Specify Directories
In the vPower NFS section, specify the folder to which instant VM recovery write cache will be stored.
The default location is C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\NfsDatastore. Please note that the selected volume should have at least 10 GB of free disk space (recommended to have more when performing Instant Recovery of Machine you plan to run in production for extended periods of time before migrating as temporary change data will be stored here).
Specify the name and destination for the catalog folder where index files should be stored. The default location is C:\VBRCatalog (If indexing a large number of machines, or very large files servers, make sure you choose a destination that has plenty of free space as VBRCatalog folders can grow large in size).Step 9. Begin Installation
Finally, review the installation settings. You can go back, review and modify previous steps using the Back button. If you are sure that all settings are configured correctly, click Install to begin the installation.
When the installation completes, click Finish to exit the setup wizard. You can now start Veeam Backup & Replication. Step 10. Apply Available Patches
We recommend that you periodically check for Veeam Backup & Replication patches and updates and apply them as available. You can download product patches at www.veeam.com/patches.html