The Veeam Backup & Replication console is slow to respond when switching between different views. The issue is more noticeable when attempting to search through the history of jobs.
In rare cases the VeeamBackup SQL DB can have many thousands of previous task sessions which causes queries run by the console to be delayed.
Note: If you are using Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 U3 (184.108.40.2066), and are observing slow GUI performance within the console, this may be related to a known issue found only in 220.127.116.116. Please open a support case with Veeam Support, and request fix 123198.
There are two parts to resolving this, one resolves the issue in the short term by removing old sessions from the SQL DB, the other is to limit how many sessions are stored in the SQL DB.
Clear old job sessions
- SQL Management Studio is required to perform this task. All jobs must be stopped.
- This stored procedure removes sessions from the database, if the database contains many session entries this may take a very long time (hours). Please plan accordingly.
- Stop all Veeam services on the Veeam Backup Server.
- Connect to the SQL instance hosting the VeeamBackup database.
- Create a backup of the VeeamBackup database. (http://www.veeam.com/kb1471)
- Expand the DB to Programmability > Stored Procedures > dbo.DropStoppedOldJobSessions
- Right click > Execute... > in the window that appears enter how many days you want to keep
- Press OK to execute, it will report “Query executed successfully.” when it completes.
- Start all Veeam services.
Changing Session history retention
The sessions to be stored in the configuration database are controlled by retention defined in number of weeks. If you have many jobs running often the default setting may cause the database to retain many entries. You can specify session history settings within the Veeam Backup & Replication console.
- From the main menu, select General Options.
- Click the History tab.
- In the Sessions section, specify the number of sessions to display in the Sessions list of the History view.
- In the Session history retention section, specify the number of weeks for which Veeam Backup & Replication must keep session information in the configuration database.