The Veeam Backup & Replication console is slow to respond when switching between different views. The issue is more noticeable when attempting to search through the history of jobs.
In rare cases the VeeamBackup SQL DB can have many thousands of previous task sessions which causes queries run by the console to be delayed.
There are two parts to resolving this, one resolves the issue in the short term by removing old sessions from the SQL DB, the other is to limit how many sessions are stored in the SQL DB.
Clearing old sessions from the SQL DB
Note: SQL Management Studio is required to perform this task. All jobs must be stopped.
Note: This stored procedure removes sessions from the database, if the database contains many session entries this may take a very time (hours). Please plan accordingly.
- Stop all Veeam services.
- Connect to the SQL instance hosting the VeeamBackup database.
- Create a backup of the VeeamBackup database. (http://www.veeam.com/kb1471)
- Expand the DB to Programmability > Stored Procedures > dbo.DropStoppedOldJobSessions
- Right click > Execute... > in the window that appears enter how many days you want to keep
- Press OK to execute, it will report “Query executed successfully.” when it completes.
- Start all Veeam services.
Changing Session history retention
You can specify session history settings for jobs performed on the Veeam backup server.
- Select Options from the main menu.
- Click the History tab.
- In the Sessions section, specify the number of sessions to display in the Sessions list of the History view.