The following message has been found to occur on both backup and volume restore from Veeam Agent for Windows:
The media is write protected. Failed to write data to file
During Backup:This issue can appear when backing up a system with OneDrive automatic folder sync in Windows 10.
There are Operating System limitations preventing VSS backups of OneDrive folders using Files On-Demand among other possible issues.
During Restore:This issue can appear if the “Choose How Much Of Your Drive To Encrypt” BitLocker setting was changed and saved (e.g. changed Encrypt Used Disk Space Only to Encrypt Entire Drive or vice versa).
The following workarounds are available.
For issues on Backup:
- Make sure OneDrive “Files On-Demand” functionality is disabled in settings.
- Check that the OneDrive client software is up-to-date.
- If issues continue, try volume level backup, or try switching to file level backup and exclude the OneDrive sync folder
- Other workarounds are to try to re-establish the OneDrive connection:
- Disconnect your local OneDrive from the cloud sync (click on the system tray right below your screen).
- Click on the three dots right at the top of the window that appears and close the application.
- Reconnect with OneDrive, but now you re-establish the connection (login).
- Or try to re-sync the OneDrive data (these steps only need taken on affected folders):
- Make a copy the affected folders to another location on your HDD which is not synchronized with OneDrive.
- Remove affected files and folders from OneDrive local folder (and, if they are not removed automatically - from the online interface of OneDrive).
- Copy your files back, let OneDrive sync the files (keep "Files On-Demand" disabled).
- Re-try Veeam Agent backup.
For issues on Restore:
- Disable BitLocker on the restore target drive:
- In File Explorer, right-click the drive in question and then click Manage BitLocker.
- On the BitLocker Drive Encryption page, click Turn Off BitLocker, and then click Turn off BitLocker again when prompted.
- When decryption is finished, click Close.
- Format the restore target drive:
- Right-click the drive in File Explorer.
- Choose Format.
- Click Start.
If you have further questions or issues continue, please open a support case as follows:
- Right-click the Veeam Endpoint Backup / Veeam Agent for Windows icon in the system tray and select Control Panel.
- Click the Support link at the top of the window.
- Click Technical Support to submit a support case to the Veeam Support Team directly from the product.
Please be aware that we’re making changes which will restrict access to product updates for users without an active contract.