When volume restore is attempted, you get the following error message:
The media is write protected. Failed to write data to file
The issue appears if the Choose How Much Of Your Drive To Encrypt BitLocker setting was changed and saved (e.g. you changed Encrypt Used Disk Space Only to Encrypt Entire Drive or vice versa).
The following workarounds are available.
1. Disable BitLocker on the restore target drive:
- In File Explorer, right-click the drive in question and then click Manage BitLocker.
- On the BitLocker Drive Encryption page, click Turn Off BitLocker, and then click Turn off BitLocker again when prompted.
- When decryption is finished, click Close.
2. Format the restore target drive.
- Right-click the drive in File Explorer.
- Choose Format.
- Click Start.
If you have further questions, open a support case as follows:
- Right-click the Veeam Endpoint Backup / Veeam Agent for Windows icon in the system tray and select Control Panel.
- Click the Support link at the top of the window.
- Click Technical Support to submit a support case to the Veeam Support Team directly from the product.