Use the following OS versions, which include fixes to the ReFS metadata management logic:
- Windows Server 2022 — requires at least Veeam Backup & Replication 11a (build 188.8.131.521)
- Windows Server 2019 — requires at least Veeam Backup and Replication 9.5 Update 4
- Windows Server 2016 patched to at least September 2018 updates (KB4343884 or later)
- Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
- It is recommended to perform "clean installs" only, as issues have been reported after in-place OS upgrades.
- The refs.sys driver version must be at least 10.0.14393.2457.
- Veeam always recommends keeping all systems fully patched with the latest Windows Updates for best performance and security.
3rd Party Software
Uninstall the following 3rd party software, as these have been reported to cause ReFS instability and/or performance issues:
- Antivirus software (except Windows Defender)
- Microsoft Configuration Manager Client
Note: To ensure no conflicting software is present, we recommend deploying Windows OS using the original ISO file from Microsoft (instead of using an image provided by the server vendor, which can potentially include bloatware).