In some cases, Veeam ONE cannot collect or assign vCenter tags properly in vCenter 5.x versions. You can identify the issue by the following error messages in Veeam ONE Reporter logs:
Failed to execute SOAP command "CInvSvcCreateCategory". Inventory Service was not created. Can not Create tag with EXCEPTION: CreateCategory failed. Failed to dispose inventory service proxy EXCEPTION: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.
NOTE: In order to export the logs, follow this KB article.
As an alternative method, Veeam ONE can use PowerCLI tool to collect and assign tags in VMware vCenter 5.x.
Proceed with these steps to implement an alternative tags collection/assignment method:
1. Check whether the account used to connect vCenter Server and ESX(i) hosts has all the necessary permissions assigned.
2. Install Veeam ONE 9.5 Update 3.
3. Install PowerCLI 6.5 on Veeam ONE server.
4. On the Veeam ONE server:
- Open Windows registry editor snap-in and navigate to the following registry path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Reporter Enterprise\
- Create a new registry key or modify the existing one:
5. Restart Veeam ONE services to apply the changes.
Please be aware that we’re making changes which will restrict access to product updates for users without an active contract.