Please confirm you are running on of the following versions of Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365
prior to installing version 4c:
- version 3.0 (builds 18.104.22.1682 – 22.214.171.1240)
- version 4.0 (build 126.96.36.1995)
- version 4a (builds 188.8.131.523 – 184.108.40.2060)
- version 4b (builds 220.127.116.116 – 18.104.22.1689)
You can check the product version under Help > About
in the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365
console. After upgrading, your build version will change to 22.214.171.1241.
Version 4c delivers new features and enhancements and includes a set of bug fixes listed below.
- Support for Office 365 tenants using modern app-only authentication with disabled legacy protocols. In the new mode, VBO performs all its backup and restore operations using an Azure AD application instead of user credentials. This new mode addresses the needs of customers using Microsoft Security Defaults in their Office 365 tenant organizations.
- Support for leveraging auxiliary backup applications to enable faster SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business backups for Office 365 tenants using modern app-only authentication.
- The built-in product auto upgrade feature now automatically installs the new and missing Veeam Explorers that come as part of Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 package, as well as the newest patches for Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365.
- Enhanced UI for Backup Accounts Manager allowing for easier selection of a security group and managing dozens of accounts.
Considerations and limitations
When protecting Office 365 tenants using modern app-only authentication, consider the following:
- Discovery Search and Public Folder mailboxes are not supported.
- Dynamic Distribution groups are not supported.
- The type property for shared and resource/equipment mailboxes cannot be resolved. Such mailboxes will be available for backup with a general ‘User’ type.
- SharePoint Web Parts can only backed up if their ‘exportmode’ property is enabled. Non exportable Web Parts are not supported.
- OneNote restore is not supported.
- SharePoint Web Part customized template cannot be preserved upon a restore. All Web Parts will be restored with the default template.
- The ‘Allow multiple responses’ setting in survey lists within team modern sites is not preserved upon a restore.
- The ‘Measure-VBOOrganizationFullBackupSize’ cmdlet is not supported.
For the full list of System Requirements, Known Issues, Installation and Upgrade considerations, please refer to this Release Notes
Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365
version 126.96.36.1991 is applicable to:
- standalone installations of Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365
- version 3.0 (builds 188.8.131.522 — 184.108.40.2060)
- version 4.0 (build 220.127.116.115)
- version 4a (builds 18.104.22.1683 (see KB3035) and 22.214.171.1240 (see KB3089))
- version 4b (builds 126.96.36.1996 (see KB3065) and 188.8.131.529 (see KB3119))
- installations on top of Veeam Backup & Replication v10 and Veeam Cloud Connect v10
Version 184.108.40.2061 is NOT
applicable to installations on top of:
- Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 4, 4a or 4b
- Veeam Cloud Connect 9.5 Update 4, 4a or 4b
Upgrading backup repositories from version 3.0 to 4c may take significant time to complete and the upgrade duration highly depends on the amount and type of backup data in a repository. According to the test results, it may take up to 8 hours in the setup with 1 TB of data in a backup repository. Plan for an appropriate maintenance window when your backup repository that is been upgraded is not available for use.
- Synchronization between the Proxy and Archiver services may fail because of object storage repository status check.
- Applying retention policy fails with the “JetError -1605, JET_errKeyDuplicate, Illegal duplicate key”.
- After a username has been changed in Office 365, a new username is not reflected in the output of the “Get-VBOLicensedUser” PowerShell cmdlet and the built-in License Overview report.
- After existing backup data migration to an object storage repository, old restore points are missing some of the SharePoint data.
- Deleting an organization with configured auxiliary backup accounts from the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 scope fails with the "Organization with the same name already exists" or “JetError -1809, JET_errPermissionDenied” error.
- Backup data migration from a local backup repository to an Azure Blob storage repository completes with the “Failed to move all objects” warning.
- Under certain conditions, executing of the “Disable-VBOJob” PowerShell cmdlet hangs.
- Cohesity S3 object storage cannot be added as an object storage repository.
- In organizations added with basic authentication, a user with a mailbox placed on Litigation Hold continues to consume the license after their Office 365 license has been removed.
- SharePoint site migration to an object storage repository may fail with the “File '%ID%' version '%number%' has already been committed” error.
- After an upgrade from Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 versions 4.0, 4a or 4b to version 4c, a full backup sync may be performed instead of an incremental sync.
- OneDrive and SharePoint personal sites backup completes with the “Cannot change WebPart ExportMode to ‘All’. WebPart will be skipped” warning.
- When downloading attachments during a SharePoint Online site backup, job fails with the “Failed to backup list: File not found in the database” error.
- Backup of a OneDrive account fails with the "Item has been changed during backup" error.
- Under certain conditions, backup of an archive mailbox in a hybrid organization setup fails with the “ErrorInvalidUserPrincipalName” error.
- Change token is not preserved for a SharePoint list which processing completed with the “The changeToken refers to a time before the start of the current change log” error.
- In the BaaS setup, SharePoint site list explore from a tenant side fails with the "Object synchronization method was called from an unsynchronized block of code" error.
- Under certain conditions, files are skipped during SharePoint Online restore to the original location.
- Under certain conditions, folders cannot be created during SharePoint Online restore to the original location.
- During SharePoint Online restore using REST API, the "GET Libraries" request fails with the "Invalid root web permissions" error.
- OneNote items export fails with the "Failed to create cab file" error.
- SharePoint Online document restore fails with the “A file or folder with the name already exists” and “User ID login not found on SharePoint server” errors, if a folder containing this document has been moved to another location.
- OneDrive export completes with the “No items were saved” message.
- An attempt to start a restore session via REST API fails after numerous attempts to get the new access token for a specific user account.
- Under certain conditions, export of an Exchange item to a PST or MSG fails with the “Value cannot be null” error.