Backup (and other operations) to HPE LTO tape drives may constantly fail after installation of Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 4b (184.108.40.20666).
Veeam fails to connect to the tape drive and returns the following errors:
[18.07.2019 15:49:24] <01> Warning TapeDrive alert: The tape drive has a problem with the application client interface ... [18.07.2019 15:49:58] <01> Error Tape error: '1117' (The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error) (Veeam.Backup.Common.CCppComponentException) [18.07.2019 15:49:58] <01> Error in c++: TapeHandle failed to get tape drive parameters. [18.07.2019 15:49:58] <01> Error in c++: Tape initialization FAILED.
However, the tape drive is recognized correctly in the device manager and no hardware related errors are reported in the Windows System log.
When Veeam is configuring the hardware encryption, it sends an incorrect command to the tape drive.
This brings the tape drive into the faulty state.
To solve the issue, apply the hotfix:
- Download the hotfix.
- Check that you have version 220.127.116.1166 of Veeam Backup & Replication installed.
- Make sure that no jobs are running, close the Veeam console and stop all Veeam services on the backup server.
- Stop all Veeam services on the tape server.
- On the tape server, rename original file VeeamAgent.exe into VeeamAgent.exe_original in folders: C:\Program Files (x86)\Veeam\Backup Transport\x64 and C:\Program Files (x86)\Veeam\Backup Transport\x86.
- Copy VeeamAgent.exe from the hotfix into folders C:\Program Files (x86)\Veeam\Backup Transport\x64 and C:\Program Files (x86)\Veeam\Backup Transport\x86 on the tape server.
- Start Veeam services on the backup server and on the tape server.
- Disconnect the tape drive from the power for a couple of minutes.
Please be aware that we’re making changes which will restrict access to product updates for users without an active contract.