Backup (and other operations) to HPE LTO tape drives may constantly fail after installation of Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 4b (126.96.36.19966).
Veeam fails to connect to the tape drive and returns the following errors:
[18.07.2019 15:49:24] <01> Warning TapeDrive alert: The tape drive has a problem with the application client interface ... [18.07.2019 15:49:58] <01> Error Tape error: '1117' (The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error) (Veeam.Backup.Common.CCppComponentException) [18.07.2019 15:49:58] <01> Error in c++: TapeHandle failed to get tape drive parameters. [18.07.2019 15:49:58] <01> Error in c++: Tape initialization FAILED.
However, the tape drive is recognized correctly in the device manager and no hardware related errors are reported in the Windows System log.
When Veeam is configuring the hardware encryption, it sends an incorrect command to the tape drive.
This brings the tape drive into the faulty state.
To solve the issue, apply the hotfix:
- Download the hotfix.
- Check the current version of Veeam Backup & Replication. It must be 188.8.131.5266.
- Make sure that no jobs are running, close the console, and stop all Veeam services.
- Right-click on the installation file and click "Run as administrator"
- Go through the wizard to install private fix.
- Relaunch Veeam Backup Console and let Veeam automatically update hosts added to the Veeam server.
- Disconnect the tape drive from the power for a couple of minutes.
UPDATE: It was discovered that in distinguishably rare situations this issue may affect other hardware Vendors, please open a support case if you encountered this one.
MD5 for kb2983.zip: 567db99e79fb6bd95251deb769d90238
SHA-1 for kb2983.zip: 0c8ad6b3c0841402c8da1e05e1acbb7e0bfcadf8
Please be aware that we’re making changes which will restrict access to product updates for users without an active contract.