Backup is a critical aspect of any data management strategy and is still the primary key to achieving data resilience. Data loss due to hardware failure, cyber-attacks and human error can occur at any time with no warning.
Without a reliable backup system, your organization may suffer long-lasting consequences. To minimize your risk of data loss and to ensure reliable data recovery, many organizations are moving away from traditional backup solutions and are embracing object storage as a primary backup target. Object storage is a new type of data storage architecture that is designed to store and retrieve large amounts of unstructured data while being inherently scalable and immutable.
Let’s take a moment to explore some of the benefits that can be gained by leveraging object storage as a primary backup target:
- Scalability: Object storage is highly scalable, which makes it possible to store large amounts of data without having to worry about running out of space. This is especially important because data growth never stops. Organizations generate new data every day, and that data must be stored somewhere.
- Cost-effectiveness: Object storage is typically less expensive than traditional storage options like disk-based storage. This is because object storage uses commodity hardware, which is less expensive than the specialized hardware that’s used for disk-based storage.
- Durability: Object storage is designed to be highly durable, with multiple copies of data being stored across multiple devices. This helps you to ensure that your data remains protected even in the event of a hardware failure.
- Security: Object storage systems are designed to provide immutable storage, meaning that once data is written to the disk, it can no longer be modified or deleted. This makes it much more difficult for malicious actors to modify or delete important data.
- Compliance: Object storage is compliant with various security and data protection standards, including HIPAA, PCI DSS, and ISO 27001. This makes it easier for you to meet your compliance requirements and ensure that your data is protected.
- Flexibility: Object storage provides you with the flexibility you need to store and manage your data in a variety of formats across both structured and unstructured data. Because of this, object storage is an ideal backup target for organizations that have diverse data requirements.
- Performance: One of the biggest benefits of backing up directly to object storage is improved backup performance. Object storage solutions are designed for high performance and provide organizations with the ability to back up and recover data quickly and efficiently. The key is that the backup solution can also take advantage of these benefits!
With what we just discussed in mind, Veeam® is excited to provide NEW Direct to Object Storage Backups as part of Veeam Data Platform. Take full advantage of the trusted immutability and unlimited scalability of object storage without having to sacrifice backup performance and provide comprehensive backupson-premises, in the cloud and at the edge with:
- Direct to On-premises Object Storage: Send your enterprise-scale datacenter backups directly to Veeam’s broad ecosystem of object storage partners on-premises with the performance you need to meet your goals.
- Direct to Cloud Object Storage: Reduce the overall cost and complexity of managing new and existing infrastructure backups at the edge with direct backups to object storage in the cloud.
With Veeam Data Platform, you are empowered to start using object storage as your primary backup target. Regardless of what you may hear or have read about legacy backup outlets, Veeam believes that backing up directly to object storage is a highly efficient, reliable and cost-effective solution for organizations who are looking to protect their data. With its scalability, durability, accessibility and integration capabilities, object storage is a great choice for organizations of all sizes who want to improve their backup and data protection strategies.