This KB article documents the procedure for restoring Application Items for Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2007. The Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange does not support these versions of Exchange. In order to restore items for Exchange 2003/2007 you must use the SureBackup + U-AIR restore method.
• WebDAV must have been enabled on the Exchange 2003/2007 server when the restore point being restored from was created in order to restore using U-AIR.
• If WebDAV was not enabled, or you need a .pst, you can start the SureBackup job and use Outlook installed on the Veeam server to connect the Exchange server in the isolated network to export the data to PST.
• Veeam Backup & Replication must have an Enterprise or Enterprise Plus license to perform this restore.
• You will need the U-AIR wizard for Microsoft Exchange, this package does not come with Veeam Backup & Replication v8. You must contact Veeam Support (support.veeam.com) in order to acquire this package.
• As of April 2017, Microsoft no longer supports Exchange 2007. Therefore, Veeam Support can no longer assist with steps 7 and 8 of the below process.
Once you’ve downloaded the U-AIR Wizard, perform the following to process the restore:
This KB contains the SureBackup Configuration Guide for 8.x https://www.veeam.com/kb2047
1. Create a Virtual Lab.
2. Create an application group.
Add to it the following servers in the order listed here:
• Domain Controller w/ Global Catalog role
• Exchange Mailbox server
• Exchange CAS server (if separate).
Note: In the application group settings, enable the "Domain Controller" role for the DC and remove all test scripts.
For the Exchange server, leave all roles unchecked. Disable the IP boot verification tests on all servers in the application group, and set the application initialization timeout for all servers other than the DC to 0 seconds.
3. Create a Surebackup job.
Configure it to use the Virtual Lab and Application Group configured in the previous steps.
• On the Application Group tab, enable the “Keep the application group running once the job completes” option.
• Do not configure any Linked Jobs
4. Run the Surebackup job.
Note: If you need to restore to a specific restore point choose the “Restore to…” option.
5. Wait for the job to report that all VMs in the SureBackup job are “Started”
6. Start the Exchange AIR Wizard.
From an administrative command line, run the following command:
"C:\Program Files\Veeam\Application Restore\Exchange Restore\Veeam.AIR.Exchange.exe" /admin
7. Specify the DC and Account to be used for the restore.
Use the Production DC IP address, and an account that has impersonation rights.
8. Specify the account to restore emails from.
9. Specify the Backup CAS.
Use the masquerade address displayed within the SureBackup statistics window.
10. Specify the Production CAS
11. Specify the CAS server version:
12. Complete the U-AIR Wizard
The next steps are documented here:
13. Restore Complete and Cleanup
After the restore is complete you will need to stop the SureBackup job manually.
Please be aware that starting from September 2018 downloading updates will require an active contract for the corresponding product.