Newly created LUNs on IBM storages that utilize the Spectrum Virtualize Software with Veeam B&R(IBM SVC or IBM Storwize), under very specific circumstances, can be deleted by Veeam B&R.
Spectrum Virtualize software has the ability to reuse LUN IDs, which are not set to be unique as with a UUID/GUID. This can potentially result in a situation where for a newly created LUN may receive the same LUN ID as that of a LUN which Veeam is attempting to remove (e.g., temporary Storage Snapshot LUN made for a Backup from Storage Snapshot job), resulting in the removal command being applied to the newly created LUN. The situations in which this issue has been identified had specific infrastructural issues which resulted in the accidental removal of the newly created LUN (i.e., infrastructural issues prevented the normal deletion of a temporary LUN for Backup from Storage Snapshot jobs).
To resolve this issue, please download the hotfix and follow the instructions to apply it;
Note: the hotfix is only applicable to Veeam Backup and Replication version 9.5 with update 3a installed (18.104.22.1682)
- Make sure no jobs/tasks are running and stop all Veeam Backup services on the Veeam server
- Navigate to Veeam installation directory (by default C:\Program files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup)
- Make a backup of Veeam.Backup.SanPlugin.IbmLib.dll and Veeam.Backup.PublicStoragePlugin.Ibm.dll files
- Replace Veeam.Backup.SanPlugin.IbmLib.dll and Veeam.Backup.PublicStoragePlugin.Ibm.dll with those from hotfix package
- Start all Veeam Backup services
Please be aware that we’re making changes which will restrict access to product updates for users without an active contract.