Due to architecture limitations, configuration backups created with Veeam Backup & Replication 7.0 did not capture database records that were responsible for displaying VMs processed with jobs in the Veeam Backup & Replication console. These limitations applied to all types of jobs, including backup to tape jobs and, consequently, VMs processed with backup to tape jobs.
As a result, if you restore data from a configuration backup created with Veeam Backup & Replication 7.0 on the Veeam backup server running Veeam Backup & Replication 8.0, VMs that have been archived to tape are not displayed under the Backups > Tape node. However, backup files themselves (VBK, VIB) are available under the Files node, and you can use these files to perform any kind of restore operations.
1. Mark tapes as free.
To do this, in the Tape Infrastructure view, select a tape or a group of tapes and click Mark as Free on the ribbon or right-click the tape or a group of tapes and select Mark as Free.
2. Perform tape catalogization.
To do this, in the Tape Infrastructure view, select a tape or a group of tapes and click Catalog on the ribbon or right-click the tape or group of tapes and select Catalog Tape.
When catalogization is completed, open the Backup & Replication view and make sure that VMs are displayed under the Backups > Tape node.
To reduce the workload on the production storage and tape devices during the first job session, you can instruct Veeam Backup & Replication 8.0 to archive only the latest backup chain to tape. The backup chain here is a full backup file (VBK) plus a set of incremental backups (VIB) following it.
For example, you have the Backup to Tape Job 1 that is linked to the Backup Job 1. The Backup Job 1 has created the following backup files on the backup repository:
VBK1— VIB1 — VIB2 — VBK2 — VIB3 — VIB4
You can select to archive to tape only the last backup chain created with Backup Job 1:
VBK2 — VIB3 — VIB4
To do this, perform the following actions for existing backup to tape jobs:
1. Open properties of the necessary backup to tape job.
2. Move to the Backup Files step of the Edit Backup to Tape Job wizard.
3. Select the backup job whose latest backup chain you want to archive to tape and click Remove
4. Click Add and select the job that you have just deleted from the list.
5. Veeam Backup & Replication will display a dialog box offering you to archive all backup files or the latest backup chain from the backup repository. Click Latest to archive only the latest backup chain.
Please be aware that we’re making changes which will restrict access to product updates for users without an active contract.