To display VMs under the Backups > Tape node, perform the following actions for tapes to which VM backups have been archived:
1. Mark tapes as free.
To do this, in the Tape Infrastructure view, select a tape or a group of tapes and click Mark as Free on the ribbon or right-click the tape or a group of tapes and select Mark as Free.
2. Perform tape catalogization.
To do this, in the Tape Infrastructure view, select a tape or a group of tapes and click Catalog on the ribbon or right-click the tape or group of tapes and select Catalog Tape.
When catalogization is completed, open the Backup & Replication view and make sure that VMs are displayed under the Backups > Tape node.
Important! After you restore data from the configuration backup created with Veeam Backup & Replication 7.0, existing backup to tape jobs function as newly configured backup to tape jobs. During the first job session, existing jobs archive to tape all backup files created with the source backup job, even if some backup files were archived to tape before. During subsequent job sessions, jobs archive only new backup files to tape.
To reduce the workload on the production storage and tape devices during the first job session, you can instruct Veeam Backup & Replication 8.0 to archive only the latest backup chain to tape. The backup chain here is a full backup file (VBK) plus a set of incremental backups (VIB) following it.
For example, you have the Backup to Tape Job 1 that is linked to the Backup Job 1. The Backup Job 1 has created the following backup files on the backup repository:
VBK1— VIB1 — VIB2 — VBK2 — VIB3 — VIB4
You can select to archive to tape only the last backup chain created with Backup Job 1:
VBK2 — VIB3 — VIB4
To do this, perform the following actions for existing backup to tape jobs:
1. Open properties of the necessary backup to tape job.
2. Move to the Backup Files step of the Edit Backup to Tape Job wizard.
3. Select the backup job whose latest backup chain you want to archive to tape and click Remove
4. Click Add and select the job that you have just deleted from the list.
5. Veeam Backup & Replication will display a dialog box offering you to archive all backup files or the latest backup chain from the backup repository. Click Latest to archive only the latest backup chain.