CANNES, FRANCE, VMWORLD EUROPE, Feb. 26, 2008 Veeam Software, a leading provider of systems management tools for VMware ESX Server environments, today announced the general availability of its newest product, Veeam Backup. This innovative new product offers fast file-level recovery for VMware ESX Server environments, and delivers 2-in-1 value by including both standard backup and replication backup in a single product. Veeam Backup, as well as the entire Veeam Management Suite for VMware, will be demonstrated in stand 13 at VMworld Europe, where Veeam is a Silver Sponsor.
Conversations with our beta customers indicate a great deal of interest in a full-featured and reliable backup and recovery solution specifically designed for VMware, commented Ratmir Timashev, Veeam president and CEO. VMware Consolidated Backup (VCB) is an excellent foundational framework, so our product works with and adds value to VCB. Backup is easy but recovery can be hard. Speed and ease of recovery of a whole virtual machine or granular file-level recovery, are key differentiators for Veeam Backup.
"EMA's research has shown that automated backup and recovery is regarded as the most important and most effective data center automation discipline," said Andi Mann, research director at leading IT analyst firm, Enterprise Management Associates (EMA). "Unfortunately, in virtual environments it is often implemented using unsuitable tools, error-prone scripts, or questionable manual procedures. As virtualization increasingly handles mission-critical production workloads, it is vital to use effective backup and recovery tools that are built to manage the virtual environment."
Veeam Backup capabilities include:
- Fast file-level recovery Veeam Backup's fast file-level recovery feature allows ESX administrators to restore individual files in minutes without extracting the full VM image to a local drive. An administrator can extract individual files to the latest state or to a specific point in time.
- 2-in-1 backup and replication - Veeam Backup is the first and only solution that combines traditional backup and replication backup into a single product. It is really two products in one: traditional backup and recovery for less-critical applications or virtual machines, and replication-based backup and recovery to meet high-availability requirements. Using replication backup, copies of mission-critical virtual machines are mirrored to a spare ESX Server and kept in the ready-to-start native VMware ESX format, dramatically simplifying the recovery process and reducing recovery time.
- Replication rollback Unlike traditional replication and mirroring methods, the Veeam replication backup option also offers file-level restore, as well as replication rollback capability. With Veeam Backup, virtual machines are protected from both hardware failure and software corruption.
- Data de-duplication When backing up multiple virtual machines, Veeam Backup will de-duplicate similar blocks inside your virtual machines, saving time and storage space. This becomes an important issue when backing up virtual machines created from a single template, or VMs with gigs of free space on their logical drives.
- Integration with VCB Veeam Backup operates either with or without VCB, letting the user choose whether to use VCB or not for either standard backup or replication backup.
- Synthetic backup and replication Through use of synthetic backup technology, Veeam Backup requires only one full backup ever. After that initial full backup, only changes are stored, and a synthetically compiled full backup is available for fast restore at any time. This technique reduces backup time and bandwidth utilization. Incremental changes are tracked to allow for rollback in case of software failure or corruption.
- Integration with Veeam FastSCP To date, Veeam's FastSCP freeware has been downloaded more than 28,000 times, and Veeam Backup shares a common interface with FastSCP, allowing users to manage backup, replication and file copying from a single screen.
Pricing and Availability Veeam Backup is available immediately, and will be demonstrated in stand 13 at VMworld Europe in Cannes, Feb. 26-28. More information, including free trial downloads, is available at http://www.veeam.com/vm-backup-recovery-replication-software.html. North American pricing begins at $499 USD per socket.
About Veeam Software Veeam Software, a premier-level VMware Technology Alliance Partner and member of the VMware Ready Management program, provides innovative software for managing VMware Infrastructure. Veeam offers an award-winning suite of tools to assist the VMware administrator, including #1 for VMware Backup: Veeam Backup & Replication; Veeam Reporter Enterprise, for VMware Performance, Storage, Capacity reporting and chargeback; Veeam Configurator, offering Host Profiles today; and Veeam Monitor, for vmware performance monitoring and alerting across multiple Virtual Centers. With its acquisition of nworks, Veeam's products include the nworks Smart Plug-in and the nworks Management Pack that incorporate VMware data into enterprise management consoles from HP and Microsoft. Learn more about Veeam Software by visiting www.veeam.com.
Carrie Reber Veeam Software Carrie.Reber@veeam.com Phone: +1 614 339 8200