If Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager is installed on the same server as Veeam Backup and Replication, and Veeam Backup and Replication is upgraded to version 6.1 without upgrading Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager, you will get an error about the Veeam Backup Catalog Data service. Upon rebooting, the server will go into an infinite reboot loop.
The issues occurs if Veeam Backup and Replication is upgraded and Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager is not, when installed on the same server.
When upgrading from 6.0 to 6.1 follow this procedure:
- Uninstall Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager and Veeam Backup Catalog service.
- Run Veeam_B&R_Setup_x64 to upgrade Veeam Backup and Replication to version 6.1.
- Allow machine to restart.
- Run Veeam_B&R_EnterpriseManager_Setup_x64 to upgrade Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager to version 6.1.
If you are experiencing reboots:
- During the boot process, click F8 and boot from "Last Known Good Configuration".
- Uninstall both Backup and Replication and Enterprise manager and proceed to install 6.1 components instead
If last known good configuration will not load:
- You will want to click F8 during boot and boot in to System Recovery console.
- Once you get logged in, you should be able to open a Command Prompt and you can type regedit.exe to open registry editor.
- You will want to click on HKLM and then click File > Load hive.
- This will open a file browser and you want to drop down and select the system drive\windows\system32\config and find the SYSTEM file (you might have to change to show all files at the bottom for file types) and click ok.
- You will then have to give this a name (System123) that differs from the currently loaded hive.
- Expand this hive that was just mounted HKLM\System123\CurrentControlSet (as well as any and all other ControlSet00#)\Services\Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager\.
- Then you want to modify the ErrorControl Dword to 1 instead of 3.
- When finished finding and fixing these values
- Then highlight System123 and click File > Unload Hive and close the Registry editor.
- Then click Restart server, let it boot up and uninstall the Veeam Enterprise Manager application and upgrade to latest version.