Columbus, Ohio, July 7, 2009 – Veeam Software, award-winning provider of systems management tools for VMware virtual datacenter environments, today made available a new add-on tool that works with other Veeam products to group, view and manage virtual machines based on criteria such as business unit, department, location, server purpose, or service level agreement. This alternate view of the VMware infrastructure supports chargeback and helps control “VM sprawl” by linking every virtual machine to a business service. At the same time, Veeam has updated its Reporter Enterprise product to enhance several reports and to integrate the new Business View capability.
“VMware vCenter provides only an administrative (technical) view of the VMware infrastructure, showing VMs grouped by datacenters, clusters, or ESX and ESXi hosts,” explained Ratmir Timashev, Veeam president and CEO. “IT professionals are increasingly called upon to think and work in terms of business services provided, and Veeam Business View was designed to help them do that.”
Veeam Business View automates the use of VMware’s native custom attributes to categorize VMs. Business View also allows editing the attributes manually for one or multiple VMs at a time, or automatically based on pre-defined rules. For example, VMware administrators can define an automated rule such as “if a VM has retail in its name, add it to the Retail Banking category.”
Business View is integrated with Veeam Reporter Enterprise, the Veeam nworks Management Pack and the nworks Smart Plug-in. In the near future, it will also be integrated with Veeam Monitor and Veeam Backup & Replication. Business View is available at no extra charge for all current Veeam customers on maintenance.
Key benefits of Business View include:
- Manage VMs from a business perspective – Group, view and manage virtual machines based on business criteria.
- Prioritize resource allocation and utilization – Business View’s unique dashboard view allows administrators to see at a glance the number of VMs, vCPUs, amount of memory and storage used by each business unit, department, and server type.
- Control VM sprawl – Business View helps control VM sprawl by categorizing virtual machines. Unassigned VMs and the resources they consume can be immediately seen on the web-based dashboard.
- Define a chargeback model – Together with Veeam Monitor and Veeam Reporter Enterprise, Business View provides the flexibility to define a customized chargeback model. VM group information can be exported to a Microsoft Excel document for reporting or integration with other chargeback, inventory, or billing systems.
- Integrate with existing VM categorization process – Customers already using custom attributes to group VMs by business unit, department, purpose, or SLA can automate and extend what they already have – no need to recreate everything from scratch.
- Open architecture – Because Business View integrates with VMware vCenter data, customers can leverage the advantages of Veeam Business View with the VMware Virtual Infrastructure Client and other third-party products. To reduce complexity, Veeam Business View comes with a built-in web service that allows any application to quickly query a specific category’s content directly from the Business View server, without putting any extra load on the vCenter server.
“As IT organizations increasingly look to run more like a business, they need information to better align the business services that they deliver,” said Cameron Haight, Research Vice President, Gartner, Inc. “This is becoming more critical with all the changes being wrought by an increasingly virtual, multi-sourced IT environment. IT organizations should thus look for tools and develop processes that provide insight to key IT decision makers to ensure that future technology resource demands are able to be satisfied.”
Veeam Business View is available immediately at no charge to all Veeam customers on maintenance. More information, including download links, is available at http://www.veeam.com/vmware-business-view.html. The updated version of Veeam Reporter Enterprise is also available immediately, with free trial downloads available at http://www.veeam.com/vmware-esx-reporting_enterprise.html.
About Veeam Software
Veeam Software, a premier-level VMware Technology Alliance Partner and member of the VMware Ready Management program, provides innovative software for managing VMware vSphere 4 and Virtual Infrastructure 3. Veeam offers an award-winning suite of tools to assist the VMware administrator, including #1 for VMware backup: Veeam Backup & Replication; Veeam Reporter Enterprise, for VMware performance, storage, capacity reporting and chargeback; Veeam Configurator, offering complete host configuration management; and Veeam Monitor, for VMware performance monitoring and alertingacross multiple vCenters. With its acquisition of nworks, Veeam\'s products include the nworks Smart Plug-in and the nworks Management Pack that incorporate VMware data into enterprise management consoles from HP and Microsoft. Learn more about Veeam Software by visiting www.veeam.com.
+1 614 339 8200