Veeam is proud to release the findings of yet another research project, the 2023 Data Protection Trends Report, which is the industry’s largest independent research on backup and data protection. This research is fully independent, representing the whole market — not only from Veeam customers — and conducted by a third-party research organization.
Globally, data protection budgets are increasing by 6.5% overall, a faster rate than leading industry analyst firms project general IT budgets to rise. Of organizations looking to increase their spending on data protection, 85% of them will increase their budgets by 8.3%.
Why are data protection budgets increasing? Major reasons include:
- Cybersecurity concerns and an appreciation of the role that backup and business continuity play in ransomware scenarios.
- In the last three years since the pandemic began, organizations have experienced sudden remote workforces and a significant increase in IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS deployments, necessitating the need to modernize backup because the production environment has changed.
What is modern, as it pertains to data protection, and what are the defining aspects of a modern backup solution? Below is a list of attributes, with the results sorted by the most important modern capabilities.
What is interesting is, there is no universal view. We see that many organizations have unique needs and requirements for their data protection.
From the data, we conclude that Modern Data Protection distills down to three major themes and capabilities:
- Part of your cyber-security strategy
- Backup is a key component of a cyber and ransomware response strategy.
- Backup is not an island; it must be a good citizen in the data center, which leads to the next defining capability.
- Integrate with BC/DR and management
- Backup also plays a vital role in Business Continuity/Disaster Recovery (BC/DR) programs and other IT and systems management functions.
- While cyber is understandably at the top of the list of concerns, IT still must protect against all the historical configuration and component outages and challenges of the past, as well as a multitude of natural disasters.
- Diverse cloud capabilities
- The cloud is leveraged in many ways in production, but also in data protection. So much so that 45% of the most important modern feature is cloud related.
- Cloud capabilities include:
- The ability to move from one cloud to another
- Standardizing on a single backup solution for on-prem as well as IaaS, PaaS and SaaS workloads.
- Ability to repatriate data from a cloud back to the data center.
We would like to connect with you on our LinkedIn Live sessions where we will discuss this and other important results from this research.
If you have questions about this or any of Veeam’s other research projects, contact us at StrategicResearch@veeam.com.
About the 2023 Data Protection Report: Veeam’s Data Protection Report is the latest and largest research report on data protection in the history of backup and availability, as surveyed by an independent research firm with 4,200 responses from 28 countries. Download the full 2023 Data Protection Trends Report to get access to all the latest data protection insights. Want to learn more about enterprise backup solutions at Veeam? Visit the Veeam Enterprise Backup Solutions Page.