To address the issue, follow the steps below:
- Make sure vLab is configured correctly (go through advanced and make sure the proxy appliance IP on isolated/mapped network is the same as default gateway IP on that mapped network in production environment)
- Check application group, make sure that DC is first in the list, otherwise Exchange won't be operational, and make sure that you specified the DC role for the Domain controller. The other roles are less necessary for restore purposes. Also make sure that in application group, you also have Mailbox Store server and CAS server. You should run the UAIR wizard against the CAS server in virtual lab. We use WebDAV to retrieve objects for 2007/2003 Exchange and EWS for 2010 Exchange.
- WEBDAV should be enabled and configured in IIS and Exchange for Exchange 03 and 07. Also you might want to enable "Form based authentication" (this depends on the Exchange version -- skip this step if you have 2010 Exchange).
- Make sure that in restore AIR wizard you use proper credentials (try admin credentials, and try mailbox owner credentials). Also you might need to configure Exchange impersonation for Exchange 2010.
- There are two ways to run the wizard, using Enterprise Manager to approve the lab request and directly from the SureBackup job. In order to troubleshoot the issue it is better to run the AIR directly from the SureBackup job.
- Open SureBackup job properties, and enable the option to keep Application Group running.
- Right-click SureBackup job and click Start Job. Select the date you want to restore from. When SureBackup is done, right-click the SureBackup job, open real-time statistics window, then right-click the Client Access Server VM, and select the restore wizard.
- You need to make sure that all servers in vlab are operational. When restore wizard fails, please log in to Exchange server in virtual lab (using vSphere client), and check that all services are up and running (OWA also), make sure that you can log in to OWA and access mailbox URL 127.0.0.1/OWA (or 127.0.0.1/Exchange depends on Exchange version)
- Also please make sure that DC/GC/DNS services started successfully (check it with dcdiag.exe)