You have backup files on a standard repository that you wish to move to a Scale-Out Backup Repository (SOBR).
If you have not yet created a SOBR:
- Create simple repositories, and at least one of them should be a path where backup files to be imported are stored (e.g., if backup files are in D:\Backups\Backup_Job_1\ then create a repository referencing the path D:\Backups).
- Re-scan the simple repository or repositories, and ensure all backups are imported.
- Create the SOBR and add the relevant repositories as extents.
- Within the creation process Veeam will inform via confirmation prompt that “Jobs and backups using this extent will be automatically updated to point to the scale-out backup repository.”
- If any jobs are not mapped to the backup files now within the SOBR, map them per the standard process.
- Place the backup files to be imported in a temporary path. (e.g., if backup files are in D:\Backups, either copy or move them to D:\Backups-temp. A move is usually much faster.)
- Create a new simple backup repository that references this path (in our example, D:\Backups-temp).
- Re-scan the repository, and ensure all backups are imported.
- You can map the pre-existing job to the backup files’ new location now, or at the end.
- Edit your existing SOBR and add the new temporary repository to its list of extents.
- Place the new temporary repository extent in “Maintenance” mode.
- Evacuate the extent. Veeam will redistribute the backup files to other extents in the SOBR.
- If you did not map the original job in step 4, do so now.
If redistribution of files is not desired or necessary, you can simply copy the folder containing VBM and backup files to an existing extent. Rename both path and VBM to ensure import, and re-scan.
- Allowed alphanumeric characters: a-z, A-Z, 0-9
- Allowed special characters: _ - . + = @ ^
- Must not contain spaces; use underscores in their place
- Make sure to copy files from the backup chain from all extents.
- SOBR backup chains are typically per-VM backup files. Simple repositories are typically per-job backup files. The chain will retain this method until an active full is run on the job to enforce the change.
- The VBM file will exist in all extents. All VBMs for a particular backup job within a single SOBR should be identical. As a result, the target simple backup repository needs only contain one VBM.