Details how to seed a backup copy job with cloud providers.
The steps differ slightly from regular backup copy seeding. Please contact your provider for their preferred method of receiving seed data. The provider may have their own process for you to use. This KB details how to create a backup copy seed within the software with instructions specific for Cloud Connect, however the provider chooses to receive the data.
Tenant must perform these steps first
1. Create a new, auxiliary, backup copy job. Add VMs whose restore points you want to copy to the auxiliary backup copy job. Target the auxiliary backup copy job to some backup repository on the source side that is not the source backup repository location in the GUI. You are unable to target ‘Backup Repository’ for both Backup and Backup Copy jobs. This backup repository will be used as an intermediate one.
If the Cloud Repository is a SOBR then the new backup copy job will have the stipulations listed below. (Please note this process is different than migrating to a SOBR as described in https://www.veeam.com/kb2236 and migration still requires contacting Veeam support for assistance)
B. There should not be any spaces or unsupported by SOBR special symbols in the Backup Copy Job name. (any spaces needed can be substituted with an underscore "_")
2. Run the auxiliary backup copy job to create a full backup file (VBK with VBM metadata file) in the intermediate backup repository, then disable the Backup Copy job.
3. Perform a ‘Remove from configuration’ on the backup set under Backups > Disk (Copy)
4. Contact your provider for the preferred method of receiving data.
Provider must then perform these steps second
1. Upon receiving the tenant’s backup seed data (VBK with VBM metadata file), move these to the tenant’s backup directory. Example: E:\Backups\TenantName\JobName\File.VBM
If the Cloud Repository is a SOBR then the requirements listed below must be met. (Please note this process is different than migrating to a SOBR as described in https://www.veeam.com/kb2236 and migration still requires contacting Veeam support for assistance)
B. Performance SOBRs must have the VBK and VIB files on different extents.
2. Inform the tenant that data has been transferred to their repository location.
Tenant must then perform these steps last
1. Rescan the cloud repository. Backup files should then appear under Backups > Cloud
Note: If the original backup copy files were encrypted, you will need to input the password for the backup copy set under Backups > Encrypted before moving forward.
2. Edit the original backup copy job to change the repository to the Cloud Repository.
3. Click ‘Map Backup’ and select the Backup Copy chain that is imported.
4. Enable the Backup Copy job, right click the job, and select ‘Sync Now’.
NOTE: Please be aware that if not all extents have files (vib / vbk), only the extents with the files (vib / vbk) may have the vbm file after the job is run.
Please be aware that we’re making changes which will restrict access to product updates for users without an active contract.