Details how to seed a backup copy job with cloud providers
The steps differ slightly from regular backup copy seeding. Please contact your provider for their preferred method of receiving seed data. The provider may have their own process for you to use. This KB details how to create a backup copy seed within the software with instructions specific for Cloud Connect, however the provider chooses to receive the data.
Tenant must perform these steps:
- Create a new, auxiliary, backup copy job. Add VMs whose restore points you want to copy to the auxiliary backup copy job. Target the auxiliary backup copy job to some backup repository on the source side that is not the source backup repository location in the GUI. You are unable to target ‘Backup Repository’ for both Backup and Backup Copy jobs. This backup repository will be used as an intermediate one.
- Run the auxiliary backup copy job to create a full backup file (VBK) in the intermediate backup repository, then disable the Backup Copy job.
- Perform a ‘Remove from configuration’ on the backup set under Backups > Disk (Copy)
- Contact your provider for the preferred method of receiving data.
Provider must perform these steps
- Upon receiving the tenant’s backup seed data (VBK and VBM files), move these to the tenant’s backup directory. Example: E:\Backups\TenantName\JobName\File.VBM
- Inform the tenant that data has been transferred to their repository location.
Tenant must then perform these steps:
- Rescan the cloud repository. Backup files should then appear under Backups > Cloud
Note: If the original backup copy files were encrypted, you will need to input the password for the backup copy set under Backups > Encrypted before moving forward.
- Edit the original backup copy job to change the repository to the cloud repository.
- Click ‘Map Backup’ and select the Backup Copy chain that is imported.
- Enable the Backup Copy job, right click the job, and select ‘Sync Now’.