After upgrading Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 to Update 3a, you may notice warning or failures on the following operations:
- Back up of SQL Server transaction logs;
- Truncation of SQL Server transaction logs;
- Collection of SQL instances metadata for Veeam Explorer for SQL (VESQL)
While the error message varies depending on actual operation, there is a common error thrown in the job sessions:
"Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer. Code: 1385"
In addition, backup jobs for SQL Servers VM with Backup logs periodically option enabled for transaction log backup may complete with warning message:
Unable to update SQL backupset for instance SQLEXPRESS : Code = 0x80040e09 Code meaning = IDispatch error #3081 Source = Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server Description = The UPDATE permission was denied on the object 'backupset', database 'msdb', schema 'dbo'.
The first issue is due to a change in the required rights of account used for Application-Aware Processing.
Update 3a requires that this account has the following user right assigned:
- Logon as a batch job granted.
- Deny logon as a batch job not set.
Second issue is caused by changes in the permission error handling logic of Veeam Backup & Replication.
Correct SQL Permissions
Note: If the permissions have been updated as documented and the issue persists, please create a support case. https://my.veeam.com/#/open-case/step-1
If unable to correct the permissions of the account used by Veeam Backup & Replication when interacting with the SQL server, you may install this hotfix which changes the application processing logic for SQL Servers in the following manner:
- After failing to logon as a batch job, the job will immediately retry using interactive logon (pre-U3a method) before failing completely.
- Warning about backupset update failure was changed to info event which additionally explains the issue in better details:
Transaction logs backup will not be possible due to insufficient permissions to update backupset for SQL instance: %SQLInstance%
To install the hotfix:
- Stop Veeam jobs and Veeam services
- Make a backup copy of the following files, from the backup server and all guest interaction proxies:
- C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\Veeam.Backup.Core.dll
- C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\Veeam.Backup.VssProvider.dll
- C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\VSS\sql\VeeamLogShipper_X64.exe
- C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\VSS\sql\VeeamLogShipper_X86.exe
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Veeam\Backup Transport\GuestInteraction\VSS\sql\VeeamLogShipper_X64.exe
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Veeam\Backup Transport\GuestInteraction\VSS\sql\VeeamLogShipper_X86.exe
- C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\VSS\VeeamGuestHelpers\VeeamVssSupport2008R2_X64.dll
- C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\VSS\VeeamGuestHelpers\VeeamVssSupport2003_X64.dll
- C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\VSS\VeeamGuestHelpers\VeeamVssSupport2003_X86.dll
- C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\VSS\VeeamGuestHelpers\VeeamVssSupportXP_X86.dll
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Veeam\Backup Transport\GuestInteraction\VSS\VeeamGuestHelpers\VeeamVssSupport2008R2_X64.dll
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Veeam\Backup Transport\GuestInteraction\VSS\VeeamGuestHelpers\VeeamVssSupport2003_X64.dll
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Veeam\Backup Transport\GuestInteraction\VSS\VeeamGuestHelpers\VeeamVssSupport2003_X86.dll
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Veeam\Backup Transport\GuestInteraction\VSS\VeeamGuestHelpers\VeeamVssSupportXP_X86.dll
- Replace the files listed in the previous step with those found in the hotfix package
- Start Veeam services on server