After upgrading Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 to Update 3a, you may notice warning or failures on the following operations:
- Back up of SQL Server transaction logs;
- Truncation of SQL Server transaction logs;
- Collection of SQL instances metadata for Veeam Explorer for SQL (VESQL)
In addition, backup jobs for SQL Servers VM with Backup logs periodically option enabled for transaction log backup may complete with warning message:
Unable to update SQL backupset for instance SQLEXPRESS : Code = 0x80040e09 Code meaning = IDispatch error #3081 Source = Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server Description = The UPDATE permission was denied on the object 'backupset', database 'msdb', schema 'dbo'.
First issue is caused due to a change in required rights for the account used for application-aware processing. Update 3a requires that this account has the following user right assigned:
- Logon as a batch job granted.
- Deny logon as a batch job not set.
We recommend that you adjust account's permissions and rights according to the updated system requirements.
Alternatively, you may install a hotfix which changes the application processing logic for SQL Server in the following manner:
1. After failing to logon as a batch job, the job will immediately retry using interactive logon (pre-U3a way) before failing completely.
2. Warning about backupset update failure was changed to info event which additionally explains the issue in better details:
Transaction logs backup will not be possible due to insufficient permissions to update backupset for SQL instance: %SQLInstance%
To install the hotfix:
1. Stop Veeam jobs and Veeam services;
2. Take a backup of the following backup files on the backup server and all guest interaction proxies:
- C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\Veeam.Backup.Core.dll
- C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\Veeam.Backup.VssProvider.dll
- C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\VSS\sql\VeeamLogShipper_X64.exe
- C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\VSS\sql\VeeamLogShipper_X86.exe
- C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\VSS\VeeamGuestHelpers\VeeamVssSupport2008R2_X64.dll
- C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\VSS\VeeamGuestHelpers\VeeamVssSupport2003_X64.dll
- C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\VSS\VeeamGuestHelpers\VeeamVssSupport2003_X86.dll
- C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\VSS\VeeamGuestHelpers\VeeamVssSupportXP_X86.dll
4. Start Veeam services.