Do the following to enable the Server Mode for garbage collection:
- Make sure no Veeam job is running.
- Disable Veeam services on the Veeam Backup & Replication machine.
- Navigate to the product installation folder. The default installation folder is C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\.
- Open the Backup subfolder.
- Back up the Veeam.Backup.Manager.exe.config file to avoid file corruption.
- Open the Veeam.Backup.Manager.exe.config file for editing.
- Find the <runtime> tag, create a new blank line after it and add the following element to the new empty line:
For an XML example, see the following Microsoft article.https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/configure-apps/file-schema/runtime/gcserver-element
Please note that RAM consumption can increase significantly if multiple jobs run concurrently. Enabling garbage collection at the server requires additional 1-2 GB RAM for every Veeam job.