Add backup user to Backup Operators local group on the File Server
The user context in which the shadow copy is performed must have the backup privilege on the remote file server(s) that is part of the shadow copy set. Usually, this is done by adding the user that is performing the shadow copy to the Backup Operators group on the file server(s).
To add a user to the local Backup Operators group, do the following with administrative privileges on each file server:
Via the GUI
- In the Server Manager Dashboard, click Tools and select Computer Management.
- In Computer Management:
- Expand Local Users and Groups.
- Click Groups.
- In the results pane, double-click Backup Operators.
- In the Backup Operators Properties window, click Add.
- Type the username to add to the Backup Operators group, click OK.
- In the Backup Operators Properties page, click OK.
- Close Computer Management.
- Start elevated Windows PowerShell (Run as Administrator)
- Run the following commands, adjusting the user account and file server name to your environment: