IT managers tasked with ensuring the Availability of business services may often feel like the tragic figure Sisyphus of Greek mythology. Punished for eternity by the gods, Sisyphus was forced to roll an enormous bolder up a hill only to see it come tumbling back towards him once it reached the summit. Feel like you’re living in your own Greek passion play when it comes to managing your data protection environment? Fear not. Your sentence may soon be commuted.
Veeam has gathered legions of followers (over 200k globally and growing) who have cast aside the shackles of backup infrastructure complexity, uncertainty and high costs. Through direct integration with VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V and modern storage, Veeam is making backup a lot more efficient, a lot less complex, more reliable and much less of a daunting task for IT teams.
But wait — it gets better. What if you could get that same simplicity of management with vastly improved application recovery SLAs, while saving your organization lots of money? Enter hybrid cloud backup. Veeam and the NetApp AltaVault cloud-integrated backup appliance provide organizations with a simple way to leverage public cloud resources to enhance backup and DR, lower IT costs and ease IT operational management.
When Veeam Availability Suite is used in tandem with NetApp AltaVault, businesses attain the following five benefits:
- IT cost reductions — by leveraging low-cost storage resources in public cloud provider environments, IT organizations can help their internal customers save big time. What’s more, AltaVault deduplicates, compresses and encrypts backup data replicated into the cloud. This means that you get the benefit of efficient local backup copies on premises along with ultra-efficient long-term backup and archival in the cloud.
- Cost avoidance savings — by using AltaVault to replicate backup data into the cloud for backup and DR purposes, you avoid the expense of having to purchase and maintain dedicated IT infrastructure for backup and recovery. In fact, unlike secondary data center environments where you would need to provision compute, storage and networking hardware to enable off-site backup and DR, these resources can be provisioned on-demand, only when you need them, in the cloud.
- IT staff augmentation — by working with a cloud service provider, you get the added benefit of gaining access to additional IT expertise as part of the service. This can be invaluable because having another set of eyes and ears to advise you on how to best ensure the protection and rapid recovery of your critical data assets will help you sleep better at night.
- Stepping stone to IT transformation — most organizations anticipate that over time they will start using more services in the cloud to help enable business speed and agility. Starting with a relatively low-risk use case like backup in the cloud is a great way to get acquainted with using cloud services. In addition, by efficiently replicating your backup data into the cloud with Veeam and AltaVault, you can start seeding the cloud with data that can be leveraged later to enable development and testing in the cloud, data analytics, user file sharing, etc.
- Placate the C-level suite — increasingly, financial decision makers are starting to ask, “Why aren’t we using the cloud?”. If you don’t have a good answer to this question, feel free to plagiarize this blog post as your action plan. The savings opportunities alone that can be attained by using Veeam and AltaVault on premises and in the cloud will be sure to placate your bosses.
With the added benefits of cost savings, ease of deployment and configuration, and boosted backup and recovery features, it’s clear that Veeam plus AltaVault is the perfect backup combination for the hybrid cloud.
Read the success story to learn how QBCC leverages Veeam Availability Suite with AltaVault to improve backup reliability, lower costs and ensure compliance with regulatory standards. For more information on how Veeam and AltaVault work together, check out our Veeam Deployment Guide for NetApp AltaVault.