This article provides a method to change the repository where backup files are stored.
To manually move Veeam Backup and Replication backup files and continue using the same job to create a new backup chain, follow these steps:
1. In Backup Infrastructure > Backup Repositories, create a new repository for the new location where backup files will be located.
2. Manually move the backup files to the new repository path. This should include the Metadata file (.vbm), the needed full backup files (.vbk), and any needed incremental files (.vib or .vrb).
It is recommended to move all backup files, but you can omit incremental files if needed.
If you decide to not move/copy all backup files to the new storage, you will need to use the “Forget Missing Restore Points” setting to clear any references to backup files that were not moved/copied
The Forget Missing Restore Points setting can be found here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/remove_missing_point.html?ver=95
Also keep in mind that there will be folders created inside the directory/path for job names.
If your repository is declared as E:\Backups, Job A will go to E:\Backups\Job A.
3.Rescan the new repository.
4. If your backup files are encrypted, you will need to specify the password under Backups > Encrypted on the Backup and Replication tab. If your backup files are not encrypted, skip this step.
5. Edit the backup job. Go to the Storage tab, and from the drop down menu, select the new repository.
If you encounter the following error: “Move all backup files to the new backup repository first”. You may have left the backup files in the original location.
When encountering this error, follow the steps outlined below to map to the backup files in the new repository.
To map the existing backup files to a new or different job, follow these steps:
1. Under Backups > Disk, right click the job you are changing repository for, and do either Remove From Backups (v8) or Remove from Configuration (v9).
2. In Backup Infrastructure > Backup Repositories, create a new repository for the new location where backup files are located if you have moved the backup files. If you have not moved backup files to a new location, skip this step.
3. Rescan the repository where the backup files are located.
4. If your backup files are encrypted, you will need to specify the password under Backups > Encrypted on the Backup and Replication tab. If your backup files are not use encrypted, skip this step. This is also relevant for encrypted Veeam Agent backups.
5. Edit the backup job. Go to the Storage tab, and from the drop down menu, select the repository if it has changed in Step 2.
6. Click Map Backup and select the existing backup chain
If you are attempting to seed failover cluster Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows job’s restore points please follow the actions below (it has a bit different workflow due to the product design):
1. Clone the source cluster job
2. Remove the source job (it will also remove from configuration its points; not from the disk but from Veeam config only)
3. Move the source backup folder to a new backup folder;
4. Rescan the new repository to import the moved files
5. Change the cloned backup job to the new repository and map the imported points there
Please be aware that starting from September 2018 downloading updates will require an active contract for the corresponding product.