Release Notes for Veeam Backup & Replication 9.0 Update 1
Please confirm you are running version 126.96.36.1992 prior to installing this update. You can check this under Help | About in Veeam Backup & Replication console. If you are using partner preview build 188.8.131.523, you must upgrade to GA build 184.108.40.2062 first by installing Day 0 Update > KB2084
After upgrading, your build will be version 220.127.116.111
Prior to installing this update please reboot the Veeam server to clear any locks on the Veeam services and when the reboot is done, please stop all the Veeam jobs and services before applying the update.
After installing the update, during the first start of the Veeam Backup Service, required modifications will be made to the configuration database automatically to optimize its performance. These modifications may take up to 10 minutes to complete. Please do not reboot the Veeam server, or attempt to stop the service during this operation. If there is concern regarding the time that the Veeam Backup Service takes to start after upgrade, please contact Veeam Customer Support.
Once Veeam Backup Service starts, please open the console and allow Veeam Backup & Replication to update its remote components.
Note: Veeam Backup & Replication 9.0 Update 2 is available. Click here to obtain it.
To obtain Veeam ONE v9 Update 1, please follow this link
As a result of on-going R&D effort and in response to customer feedback, Update 1 includes over 300 enhancements and bug fixes, the most significant of which are listed below:
- Enhanced extent selection logic for scale-out backup repositories with and without per-VM backup file chains enabled.
- Added reversed incremental backup mode support for storage-level corruption guard and backup file compact and defrag functionality.
- Guest Interaction Proxy selection algorithm has been improved to increase proxy selection performance.
- Added support for BitLooker folder exclusion functionality on Japanese and Chinese OS. This requires that the backup proxy used by the job is installed on the OS with the same locale as the processed VM.
Cloud Connect Replication
- Support for replica seeding.
- Support for replication from backup (except from backup files stored in cloud repositories).
- Improved failover issues reporting.
- Storage fingerprint check can now be disabled using SshFingerprintCheck (DWORD) registry value under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication key.
- Datastore based jobs can now be set to not include VMs with mounted ISO residing on the selected datastore. To enable this behavior, create StrictDatastoreScope (DWORD) registry value under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication key.
- Replica disk exclusion and Linux file-level recovery should now work correctly on Windows Server 2012.
- To increase the chance of Microsoft VSS processing succeeding, the default VSS snapshot timeout has been doubled to 1200 sec. Additionally, VSSGuestSnapshotTimeout (DWORD) registry value in seconds under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication key has been added to allow you to control this value.
- Added support for Oracle ASM on GPT disks.
- Redo log backup for non-ASM deployments is now performed directly from logs directory, without first copying the logs into a temp folder.
- Added ability to skip NOARCHIVELOG mode databases without warnings. To enable this behavior, create OracleSkipNoArchiveLogDB (DWORD) registry value under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication key on the processed VM.
- Added ability to disable Oracle processing without having to disable application-aware processing for the rest of applications running on the same VM. To enables this behavior, create DisableOracleProcessing (DWORD) registry value under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication key on the processed VM.
- Improved reliability of abandoned log backup process termination in cases such as loss of network connectivity or backup repository reboot.
- Improved Veeam Explorer for SQL Server startup and restore initialization time on large backup sets.
- Added support for exporting very large PST files with Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange.
- Improved reliability of detecting, erasing, ejecting and exporting tapes.
- Improved GFS candidate restore point selection logic for certain scenarios.
- SureBackup jobs will no longer remove VM snapshot before deleting the temporary VM itself, thus speeding up job completion time. Instead, an additional functionality has been added to automatically clean up VM leftovers, which occasionally may be left on the datastore used for I/O redirection due to a VMware bug caused by deleting a VM with the existing snapshot.
- SureBackup role descriptions and application test scripts will now be obtained from the backup server, as opposed to the console.
- Improved user interface responsiveness and reduced configuration database SQL Server load in the environments with large amount of backups and replicas.
- Deduplicating storage appliance users will now receive a warning if their backup job or storage appliance settings do not match the recommended settings.
Enterprise Manager web UI
- Addressed cross site scripting web vulnerability has been discovered in Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager web interface. Veeam thanks Davide 'Peru' Peruzzi [GoSecure!] for vulnerability discovery.
- Console will now auto-update itself when connecting to backup server of higher version by downloading the update package (or updated files) directly from the backup server. This functionality is supported for both updates and hot fixes.
- Network extensions appliances are now included into the existing remote components auto update process (Upgrade wizard), thus removing the requirement to re-deploy them manually.
Veeam Cloud & Service Provider Partners
Starting from Update 1, when automatic license update is enabled, backup servers with per-VM hosting licenses will send protected VM counts for the past week (high watermark) to the Veeam licensing server. The collected data will allow our backend system to automatically approve monthly usage reports as long as they do not deviate significantly from any high watermark for the reporting period. It's the first of several steps Veeam is taking to streamline usage reporting and reduce processing costs. Automatic usage logging is currently optional and can be turned off by disabling automatic license update.
For the information on Veeam Cloud Connect infrastructure specific enhancements and bug fixes included in this update, please refer to the issue tracking topic in the private VCSP forum. If you are VCSP but don't have access, please apply to Cloud & Service Providers group using Veeam forum's User Control Panel.