All credentials and backup encryption keys may become unusable after manual migration of Veeam Backup and Replication server to another machine.
Manual migration imply two scenarios:
- Manual migration of Veeam B&R database and further Veeam B&R software installation on top.
- Migration of Veeam B&R software only and subsequent switch to remote existing Veeam B&R database.
All sensitive information, such as user credentials and encryption keys are stored in the configuration database are encrypted with machine-specific private key of backup server. Accordingly, a newly installed backup server will not be able to decrypt such information if attached to the existing database.
- We recommend to use Veeam configuration backup in order to migrate Veeam server.
- If a configuration backup is not available you will need to resupply all encrypted information stored in VeeamBackup database manually:
- Use "Manage Credentials" option to re-enter all passwords
- All encrypted backup sets need to be removed from configuration and re-imported afterwards
- If you are using Enterprise Manager please contact Veeam technical support to remove crypto-info about EM master key from VeeamBackup database
- There is no need to resupply credential data if the Veeam server is restored from image backup or if operating system and Veeam software are reinstalled on the same machine.