To perform a migration to a new instance, deploy a new Veeam Backup for AWS instance via the AWS marketplace using Cloud Formation as explained in the user guide on installing Veeam Backup for AWS
Before beginning, make sure that both Veeam Backup for AWS instances are in the same AWS region and availability zone.
To perform the migration, do the following:
1. Detach volume 2
from the new Veeam Backup for AWS instance. By default, this is ‘/dev/sdb’. This can be done via the EBS ID link. On the volume page, select "Detach Volume
" from the Actions
: It is recommended to stop instance before detaching a disk, as a disk may stuck in the Busy state for a long period of time.
2. Repeat the first step for the old Veeam Backup for AWS instance. This will free up the data disk so it can be attached to the new instance.
3. Within the Instance overview
, copy the instance ID from the new Veeam Backup for AWS instance.
4. Within the Volume overview
, select the data volume from the old Veeam Backup for AWS instance and select “Attach volume
” from the actions dropdown.
5. Within the “Attach volume
” window, fill in the instance id from the new Veeam Backup for AWS instance and device name.
6. The new Veeam Backup for AWS instance is now ready and can be started.
7. Once the new Veeam Backup for AWS instance is started, you must go through the initial setup to configure the instance and create the initial user. Afterward, you will see all your backup policies, repositories, restore points... User accounts are not migrated so they will have to be recreated.NOTE
: If you are using custom roles please update "Trust relationship" for those roles as described in this article