Release Information for Veeam Backup for AWS v2.
IMPORTANT: You cannot update Veeam Backup for AWS operating in the Paid edition to version 2.0 from the Veeam Backup for AWS Web UI. To update the product, you must install Veeam Backup for AWS version 2.0 from AWS Marketplace on a new EC2 instance, and then migrate Veeam Backup for AWS data to the new EC2 instance. For information on how to perform the migration procedure, see this Veeam KB article.
You can check your build number under Configuration | Support Information | About | Server version by clicking the gear icon at the top-right corner of the main menu in Veeam Backup for AWS. After installing, your build number will be 220.127.116.110.
Veeam Backup for AWS v2 adds the following new features and enhancements.
AWS disaster recovery
- Snapshot replication across AWS accounts and regions allows you to protect yourself against outages caused by failures and disasters that affect the availability of instances that are in the same location. You are now able to instantly recover to regions where snapshots have been replicated to, minimizing the impact of outage.
- Changed Block Tracking (CBT) is now automatically enabled in supported regions to shrink backup windows, as well as compute and storage costs, by only reading blocks that have changed since the last backup.
- Harmonized scheduling enables the usage of the same snapshot within a policy for both backups and replicas. Utilizing the same snapshot avoids expensive misconfigurations within policies and further improves cost-effectiveness.
- Cost estimation tool updates reflect CBT and snapshot replication impacts when utilized within policies. The cost estimation is also available in all sections of the policy wizard and is automatically updated in real-time to reflect changes made during the creation and editing of policies.
- Application consistency ensures zero data loss protection and is now available for snapshots, backups and replicas of running Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) instances, without shutting the instance down or disconnecting attached Amazon EBS volumes.
- File-level Recovery Relay Proxy ensures file-level recoveries can now utilize a relay proxy and a signed SSL certificate for greater security.
- Automatic start enables you to immediately power-on Amazon EC2 instances once they have been recovered without any manual intervention.
- File-level recovery workers now utilize Amazon Simple Queue Service (Amazon SQS), no longer requiring a public IP address.
- All functionality can now be controlled through a public RESTful API (including Swagger UI support) allowing you to incorporate and build your own external workflows and applications that securely integrate with and manage Veeam Backup for AWS.
- Import and export policies to JSON to create templates of policies for reuse to speed up new policy creation.
- The policy wizard has been redesigned to a full-screen experience and includes other new features such as snapshot replication and application consistency.
- The policy session log can be accessed directly from the policies page for easier insight into policy sessions.
- A notification bell has been added to the ribbon bar for instant and easy access to product notifications (e.g., available updates).
- File-level recovery testing can now be performed to ensure all components are correctly configured and operational, improving successful real-world recoveries.
- IAM role creation (e.g., service, policy and/or repository) is now available directly within the Veeam Backup for AWS appliance to easily protect larger or multi-account environments.
- Permission checks ensure the configured accounts have the required permissions to perform data protection and disaster recovery operations.
- Time zone support enables the configuration of the time zone of the appliance.
- Enhanced Updater UI allows to easily keep your Veeam Backup for AWS installation up to date directly within the appliance.
- Added region support for Cape Town and Milan regions.
Please be aware that we’re making changes which will restrict access to product updates for users without an active contract.