You receive the following error within moments of a job starting:
Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host: [VM hostname or IP]. Account: [domain\user].
Win32 error: The network path was not found. Code: 53
NOTE: This applies to both VMware and Hyper-V hypervisors.
This error means that the Veeam Backup & Replication server cannot connect to the Windows guest’s OS feature to deploy guest processing components. This path will be the ADMIN$ share (\\hostname\admin$) of the guest itself.
These components are deployed directly from the Veeam Backup & Replication server. If networking is inherently impossible to the guest from the B&R server (different networks, firewall, etc), processing protocol may require inversion (VMware only).
When this error occurs, there are a few items to go through:
- Make sure the Windows time on the Veeam Backup server is the same as in the guest OS.
- Make sure you do not have a firewall in the way (you can try disabling it for testing).
- Make sure you can connect to the admin share (for example, \\Server Name\admin$) with the same credentials as provided to Veeam Backup & Replication for VSS.
- Make sure the VSS writers are set to automatic in the guest OS.
- Make sure you provide Local Administrator (MACHINE\Administrator) or Domain Administrator (DOMAIN\Administrator) account privileges.
- Make sure the guest OS is in the same network as the Veeam Backup server.
- Make sure File and Printer Sharing is enabled in the guest OS.
- Once File and Printer Sharing is Enabled on the guest OS, ensure to provide permissions through Windows Firewall if applicable
- If the guest OS is Vista/2008 or later:
- In the Network and Sharing Center, verify that it is not set for a public domain.
- Verify that the Remote Registry Service is started.
For Veeam 9.x and later the value should be created on the Guest Interaction Proxy.
o HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication\
o DWORD: InverseVssProtocolOrder
o Value = 1
o To disable (default behavior), value is 0 (false)
For more information on permissions, see http://www.veeam.com/kb1788
Please be aware that starting from September 2018 downloading updates will require an active contract for the corresponding product.