This KB article is to serve as a guide on licensing practices and merge rules for Veeam Backup & Replication v10, Backup & Replication 9.5 update 4 and later, and Backup & Replication v9.5 Update 3a and earlier.
This article describes the process of merging Veeam licenses.
A license file installed to your Veeam software replaces the information from the previous license of that type. A merged license file allows for increased socket or instance capacity by combining licenses from multiple Support IDs.
Please note that the merged license key will use the earliest support expiration date of all product keys.
NOTE! Licenses can be merged only when they have the same:
- Account Name
- Product Name and Edition
- Product Version
- Licensing Terms
- License Administrator
- They must all be Active on Support.
Veeam Backup & Replication v10
Version 10 of Veeam Backup & Replication is designed to accept two separate license files; one for sockets and one for instances. If you have multiple license keys for either workload, you will need to merge them together before installation.
Your License Administrator may obtain a merged license file by following the steps below.
1. Log on to the Veeam My Account dashboard and go to License management >> Production Licenses (https://my.veeam.com/#/licenses/production)
2. If you are managing multiple accounts, please select the account you are performing the merge for.
Once you have made the selection all the products under the account will be visible.
3. To start the merge process, please use the License merge link:
4. Now you can select the Products and the SupportID’s you want to merge. You can select several compatible product licenses to merge into one license file.
5. After you have selected the SupportID’s you want to merge; you will have to click the Preview button to view the new licenses information. You will need to select which version of Veeam the requested merged file is for.
6. After you have verified the information’s of the page you will have to use the “Merge Licenses” button to finalize the merge process. You will then be presented with an option to download the license or send a copy to the license administrator’s email.
Veeam Backup & Replication Update 4 and later
Version 9.5 U4 and later of Veeam Backup & Replication has a similar process to the one about but the console is designed to accept only a single license key. If you have multiple license keys or keys for different workloads (sockets and instances); you will need to merge all of them together before installation. Installation of a license will replace the previously installed license.
Veeam Backup & Replication v9.5 Update 3a and earlier
Version 9.5 U3a and earlier of Veeam Backup & Replication has a similar process to the one about but the console is designed to accept only a single license key. If you have multiple license keys or keys for different workloads (sockets and instances); you will need to merge all of them together before installation. Installation of a license will replace the previously installed license.
2. License Key split option on the Customer portal is available to select Customers only. Splitting licenses within one SupportID requires opening a licensing support case at https://my.veeam.com.
3. Please note that the license auto-update feature does NOT correctly update merged licenses created on the license management portal. If you have enabled auto-update, disable it before installing a merged license from the license management portal.
4. More info about the merge policy here.
Please be aware that we’re making changes which will restrict access to product updates for users without an active contract.