This article explains how to collect the diagnostic information required for a Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows support case.
To encourage quicker support case processing, attach the following logs to the support case:
- Veeam Agent logs
- VSS diagnostics
- Event logs
- File system minifilter diagnostics
You can collect logs in the following ways:
- Automatically using the script that is attached to this article.
- Manually in case the script fails to retrieve required logs.
Collect Logs Automatically
1. Download the script from the link above.
2. Extract the script to any folder on the computer where Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows is installed (for example, C:\temp\).
3. Open an Elevated Command Prompt or PowerShell window and run the command:
PowerShell.exe -ExecutionPolicy ByPass -File <Path to the script>
4. Run the script with PowerShell. The script executes simple select queries, no system changes are made.
If the script runs successfully, the warning message will appear.
After the script execution, the message about the successful execution will appear. The script creates a new folder with the VeeamAgentLogs_<DDMMYYYY> name, where <DDMMYYYY> is the current date, and stores the collected information into this folder.
- Attach the folder with all the contents to the support case.
If the script fails to collect the logs, proceed to collect the information manually as outlined below.
Collect Logs Manually
The following steps are to be done on the computer where Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows is installed.
1. Collect Veeam Agent Logs
- Navigate to the following folder: C:\%Programdata%\Veeam\Endpoint (this folder is hidden by default, copy and paste the provided path).
- Archive the content of this folder.
2. Collect VSS Diagnostics
- Run the following commands using the administrative command prompt:
- vssadmin list writers > C:\vss_writers.log
- vssadmin list providers > C:\vss_providers.log
- vssadmin list shadows > C:\vss_shadows.log
- vssadmin list shadowstorage > C:\vss_shadow_storage.log
- Archive the resulting files.
3. Collect Event Logs
- Run the Event Viewer (eventvwr.msc).
- In the left menu, find the Application logs.
- Right-click the Application logs and select Save All Events As.
- Enter the file name that includes the log type and the computer name the logs were exported from (for example, when exporting Application logs from a computer named HV01, enter Application_HV01).
- In Save as type, select Event Files (*.evtx).
- Include the display information.
- Repeat steps 3—7 for the System logs.
- Archive the logs. Include the LocaleMetaData folder in the archive as well.
4. Collect File System Minifilter Diagnostics
- Run the fltmc instances > C:\filter.log command using the administrative command prompt.
Send Logs to the Veeam Support
- Create a support case.
- Upload the logs to the FTP server provided by the Veeam Support engineer. If you need a Secure FTP, see this article.
- After the upload, notify the Veeam Support engineer.
Please be aware that we’re making changes which will restrict access to product updates for users without an active contract.