Need to locate VSS and VIX log files for troubleshooting purposes.
During the process of investigating an issue that occurs when using Application-Aware Image Processing, additional logs must be gathered manually from the Guest OS for the VM that is failing to backup.
These logs are NOT automatically captured by the Support Wizard, so they must be manually collected.
The VeeamVssSupport and VeeamVixProxy contain details related to the VM on which they are found, as such they must be collected directly from the Guest OS of the VM that is being investigated.
Note: If Application-Aware Image Processing was disabled during internal troubleshooting please enable Application-Aware Image Processing and run the job again to update the log files within the Guest OS.
The following actions are to be performed within the Guest OS of the VM that is being investigated. Please note that no Veeam Backup and Replication task should be running against the guest in question during this collection process. This will interfere with the accuracy of the information.
1. Navigate to the following directory:
Windows Server 2003: %allusersprofile%\Application Data\Veeam\Backup
Windows Server 2008 and up: %programdata%\Veeam\Backup
2. Collect files matching the following Syntax:
For Veeam Backup & Replication v8 or newer:
For Veeam Backup & Replication versions older than v8:
3. Open an elevated command prompt and run the following commands:
vssadmin list writers > C:\vsswriters.txt
vssadmin list providers > C:\vssproviders.txt
vssadmin list shadows > C:\vssshadows.txt
vssadmin list shadowstorage > C:\vssshadowstorage.txt
4. Hyper-V Cases: Export Windows Event Logs as shown here: http://www.veeam.com/kb1873.
5. Collect the logs from steps 2-4, bundle them in a compressed file, and submit them.
The logs can be submitted by:
• Email (smaller than 3MB)
• Customer Support Portal (support.veeam.com)
• FTP (Provided by support engineer, remember to send email after upload.)